Glass Beads For Topping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoifeLuC

Reaction score
Since I'm just starting out with equipment from my all- in-one box starter kit...I am hesitate to purchasing a number of different sizes of carboys. My problem is storaging the carboys. I just downsized to a very comfortable small home. I've been looking at options that might help me maintain a reasonable amount of carboys . Noticed one option was to use Glass Beads to top up. Has anyone used this method or have a better idea. So far I have 1-6 gallon plastic carboy, 2- glass 5 gallon carboys , and 1-3 gallon carboy. Thanks.

I have about 2 liters worth of marbles that I've not used in perhaps the last three years. Pretty much learned how to make/fudge my 6 gallon batches at primary such that I go into bulk aging needing only to top off with maybe a bit of similar wine.

Marbles became a pain in the buttski to clean and sanitize and I always feared one would break as it hit the bottom of a glass carboy carboy or another marble in the case of a plastic carboy. There are better, in my opinion, head space eliminators than marbles.

Exactly BKISEL - And I would worry that I might lose even more volume if the lees didn't cover the marbles - that some of the good wine would be down there in the marbles. Then tilting the carboy could cause a real stir of the lees and 'pollute' that last bit of wine.

My preference is to bump my ABV and lbs/gal so the that any water I have to add doesn't dilute the wine to any signficant degree.

Last edited:
I'd add some one and half gallon jugs and wine bottles. They don't take too much space and give you flexibility for racking.

I have used marbles with no problem. I have several better bottles so there is no risk of cracking the carboy when dropping them in. However, i have also used them in my glass carboys with no problem either. Just put them in a bit carefully and slower.

Oh, and i also purchased a couple head space eliminators from Steve, all in one. So next time i have head space in the glass i will give them a try.

Last edited:
I have used marbles with no problem. I have several better bottles so there is no risk of cracking the carboy when dropping them in. However, i have also used them in my glass carboys with no problem either. Just put them in a bit carefully and slower.

Met a guy a few weeks back and bought a few carboys from him (he owned 25+ and his wife said 5 had to go). He uses marbles all the time and says he has never had an issue. I bet the guy had 1,000 bottles of wine and 15 full carboys in his basement. :r

I didn't see it mentioned but wanted to make sure you knew, you can top off with a store bought wine of the same type. That way you are maximizing your output. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Thanks. I was wondering with alcohol in the store bought wine would harm mine ...guess not.

Another vote for the head space eliminator, assuming you have a way to achieve a vacuum. Either that or make sure you over shoot your 5 gallon carboy and use 1 gallon or bottles to store the excess / topping wine.

Thanks. I was wondering with alcohol in the store bought wine would harm mine ...guess not.

Only issue with store bought wine is a matter of how different it may be in taste with what you are making. In small quantities no big deal. Only is you wind up using a whole bottle might it alter the taste of your wine. For fruit wines you aren't going to find a match.

Latest posts

Back