Ginger Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignoble Grape

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm in the middle of an experiment. Making 5 gl. of ginger wine. Super gingergy.
Here's the original recipe:
  • 6 oz. ginger root, chopped
  • 3 cups mixed raisins, chopped
  • 2 lemons, zested and juiced
  • 10 lbs sugar, dissolved in water
  • 5.3 gallons water
  • 5 tsp. yeast nutrient
  • 1 tsp. pectic enzyme
  • 2.5 tsp. acid blend
  • Champagne yeast
Started back in January, just racked and tasted. It's ginger all right - which I think will be enjoyable mulled over the holidays (original plan) or with sushi. All of my hoses needed a good soaking - they've been ginger-fied.

Here's the Question: What would you top off with? I had enough in my 750 ml bottle this past time to top off, but won't for the next racking.

What do you have? Rhubarb is a good topping off wine - it's neutral flavor picks up the flavors of the wine. But - not everyone has it on hand. ;-)
I made a lemongrass-ginger wine last year. Check Shayne Edwards posts on his ginger wine - he made a super ginger wine last year.

What do you have? Rhubarb is a good topping off wine - it's neutral flavor picks up the flavors of the wine. But - not everyone has it on hand. ;-)
I made a lemongrass-ginger wine last year. Check Shayne Edwards posts on his ginger wine - he made a super ginger wine last year.
Thanks! No rhubarb, alas. I have some strawberry (which smells like strawberry, but is really dry), peach, apple, and the rest is vinis vinifera. Will check out his post.

Latest posts

Back