Ginger wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaWa

Reaction score
Ok, so I found my recipe in a really old CJJ Berry book. Bruised root ginger and tea and sugar with yeast and nutrients. however, there is no mention of pectolaise or campden tabs at the beginning.Should I do this as a matter of course? All the other wines I have made have started with campden and pectolaise. ( I'm not sure if ginger has starch??). It has been in the primary for 3 days with an SG of 1.140, it may be too late.......smells good though. i'm having a bit of a comp with Boozehag, she started Ginger wine too with a different recipe and we will see who's is best....MINE MINE MINE!!!!!!

Pectic enzymes are used to destroy cell structure and during that action release more juice.
However ginger root will not have a lot juice in itself so I presume the enzymes will not do a lot.

Also, like stated in another thread, pectic enzymes might not work in an active fermentation. So better wait if the wine clears by itself and otherwise try to add the enzymes when the wine has finished.

I make some ginger-beer (ale) in the summer. That is a non alcoholic beverage and really refreshing. So I was wondering about ginger wine myself.

Keep us posted and please give the recipe.
As I know it is easy to overdo the ginger and make it too strong.

Luc

Thanks Luc, I'll relax and stick to the recipe as it is written. Will keep you all informed of progress. I believe ginger wine can take a wee while, a bit like my coffee wine.
I love how you can get replies real fast on this forum, it rocks!!!

Ginger wine takes a long time to ferment out Wawa..

mine took 3 months over summer.

Allie

I added petolase to mine Wawa. My receipe had it in it, its also got grape juice in it, well I think it did anyway cause i added some!!!

Oh dear about the too strong bit, I added about another 1/3 of the ginger to mine than stated as I thought what the heck....cant do any harm....oh dear!!! lol:s Perhaps Ill have to make something insipid to add to it and water its falvour down!!!!!

Mine will be the best Wawa...you wait and see!

Latest posts

Back