Ginger wine recipe #2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
This wine is quite strong and should be used as a tonic. serve as a warming welcome to guests on a cold night, or drink a glassful when you feel a cold coming on or have a sore throat. It is not suitable as a tablewine.

1 gallon recipe.

3oz/ 75grams root ginger minced
3 lemons
1 lb /450grams raisins
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
7 pints/ 4 litres boiling water
all purpose wine yeast and nutrient
3lb/ 1.35kilos demerara sugar
campden tablets.

put the ginger through the grater on the food processor.take the zest off the l;emons and squeeze the juice and set aside. Wash and chop raisins. put ginger, lemon rind and raisins into a bin with the cayenne and pour on the boiling water. stir the mixture thoroughly and cover, leave to cool. Add the lemon juice, activated yeast and nutrient . Loosely cover the bin and ferment on the pulp for 7 days keeping pulp submerged. strain out, press and discard the solids.Stir in one third of the sugar. record SG .Fill your carboy and any excess into a bottle for top ups later. Ferment for a week, remove half the wine from the carboy .. add another third of the sugar .. dissolve and then add back to the carboy.Record SG. After a further week add the last third of the sugar. Record SG. leave the wine to finish fermentation, then siphon wine off the sediment. Top up from the bottle, add one crushed campden tablet bung tight and store wine til bright. Store wine for 6 months before bottling and six months in the bottle before drinking.

posted by Allie from her book 'country wines and cordials'

This came out very well.. and I will make it again.

Made a 3 gallon batch..varied the recipe slightly as below..

used twice as much root ginger as the recipe required
added eight ripe mashed bananas to the bin.
used a champagne yeast
used one third dark muscovado sugar and one third demerara sugar
replaced one third of the sugar with an equal quantity of honey.
and beyond the recommended amount I added half a cup of sugar to the fermenting wine fortnightly til the yeast gave up and died.

I wanted a sweet ginger wine for cold winter nights .. it's not overly sweet but not dry and rocket fuel either!

Allie

Last edited:
Sounds great G, gonna have to try it. I have seen other recipes that call for adding the sugar at various stages of the process. Is there a particular reason not to add it all at once?
Troy

Because it is so much sugar, if added all at once it will overpower the yeasts ability to cope with it all.. so you add it in stages instead. Adding in stages also allows you to drive up the alcohol level of the wine by coaxing the yeast to keep going. Taking the SG each time will enable you to work out the final abv at the end.

Allie

Last edited:
Fresh root? Peeled?
Sounds really nice, I really enjoy ginger, and I like the addition of the nanas, I am assuming this is as much for body as it is for taste. I really want to make some of this, as you know I have plenty of winter nights here, I may need to TRIPLE the recipe. LOL :h
Troy

I didn't peel it, just chucked the whole root through the grater on the food processor. Yes bananas for body.. you can add glycerine at the end too if you feel it needs more smoothness. however I don't think you'd really be able to decide on the glycerine til you've stored it for 6 months before bottling. Make a 5 gallon batch next time.

Solids are dropping out quite quickly. Have reracked this morning and topped up with whiskey. Am going to bulk age and top up with whiskey at each racking. Expect to bottle it about aug-sept.

Ready for xmas!

Allie

Solids are dropping out quite quickly. Have reracked this morning and topped up with whiskey. Am going to bulk age and top up with whiskey at each racking. Expect to bottle it about aug-sept.

Ready for xmas!

Allie

You've spelled it "whiskey" with an 'e' - so are you using Irish Whiskey? What whiskey are you using? This is giving me some ideas! Personally, I prefer Bushmills Black Bush which is always found in my flask when fly fishing - but it might be interesting to experiment with a variety of Scotch and Whiskies.

ahh.. you spotted it... ( I thought no one could see me)

I am born welsh. Irish, Scots and Scouse parentage. You really don't want to split hairs with the Celts. Tomorrow I may paint myself blue and claim your house as my historical rights.

Ensure you have a great supply of beads and blankets to trade... I'm fussy...

Anyway....Where I live... Whiskey is spelled with an 'e'.

Allie :)

Last edited:
Use for young ginger wine

Used 2 gallons white grape juice in lieu of raisins, doubled ginger and brewed five gallon batch. Ginger Mac cocktail with blended scotch 50/50 young ginger wine is a nice summer cooler. Cheers.

Has any one thought of making this into a sparkling wine? It wouldn't be nice warmed up but might be better enjoyed ice cold and in the summer...

Hi chaps, this is not a useful comment except to say I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your creative additions to what sounded like a fairly standard recipe to start with.

I think you're all quite mad, but I can't wait to have a go ;-)

Hope someone can offer me some guidance on this one - I followed the ginger wine recipe (above) as accurately as I could (so far minus the whisky), and as per one of the suggestions I added 1lb sugar first week, then second week same, 1lb honey the third week. After less than 4 weeks however, the wine has emphatically stopped fermenting. I'm not used to this happening - did I do something wrong?

Anakeimai, I'm relatively new to winemaking, but from what I understand, there could be a few causes - not being in the ideal temperature range, too much sugar, or it might have to do with the raisins you used. If the raisins have preservatives in them, it can result in fermentation that either doesn't start up or stops part-way through. I only learned this was relatively common problem recently. Fortunately the Ginger wine I made, very similar to the recipe listed in the post, turned out perfectly. I also rinsed the raisins I used, as apparently this helps to remove some of the preservatives. If you do a search for raisins and preservative, I'm sure you'll come across more information on this.

Maybe others have suggestions that might be able to help you nail down cause.

Also 3 pounds of sugar added to one gallon of must would get you a wine of around 17% abv if fermented to dryness. If you didnt use a yeast strain with a high alcohol tolerance your yeast may have drowned in their own waste! Im a noob myself though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Hi Team,

Thanks for your help so far. I should have asked: is there any way to resurrect what I've done? Can I add something else to make sure it's fermented properly, or have I failed utterly on this occasion?

anakeimai said:
Hi Team,

Thanks for your help so far. I should have asked: is there any way to resurrect what I've done? Can I add something else to make sure it's fermented properly, or have I failed utterly on this occasion?

What yeast did you use? As someone else pointed out, it may not be tolerant to the high alcohol content. I would probably try making a starter with some sugar, water, and yeast nutrient, pitching a champagne yeast (I think the red star premier cuvée has an 18% ABV tolerance and also gives me a nice clean flavor) and just see if it works. Can't hurt at this point, right? Good luck.

I had the same problem with my ginger wine. When I removed the mash including the raisins, it started fermenting again. It's now fermenting away in the secondary very happy. But it did nothing while those raisins were in there.

Cant wait to start a batch of this soon! Gonna be a great sipper during the cold weather months!

Latest posts

Back