Ginger & Raw Honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Hello all,
I started getting into all the good things that Ginger, Garlic & Honey does for the body, but thats another story.
So I started a Ginger Honey infusion for tea because I seen it in the grocery story but didn't like all those additives they put in there.
I sliced a bunch of ginger, added a quart of raw honey and let it sit and shaken ever day.
Honey started getting thin from the ginger like it's suppose to. However about 3 - 4 weeks later, I'm seeing tiny bubbles and foam coming to the surface.
Am I making mead?? I took off the cap and it does smell a little fermentation going on.
My question is, should I see how far it will ferment or stop it by putting it in the fridge for tea, or a good cough syrup.
Any suggestions?

Yes… yes you are. This is both exciting and interesting, and you’re also doing it a bit in the dark, as it were. Once honey gets above a certain percentage of water, I think it’s around 18%, it loses its ability to preserve itself and organisms can better survive. In your case, since it’s honey that has probably not been pasteurized, some wild yeast has begun to do it’s thing. To that end, it’s converting sugar to alcohol.

What I mean about doing so in the dark is that you don’t know a starting gravity to determine an ending and then ABV, and you don’t know what yeast it is and what flavors it could impart. It could be AMAZING or it may not be something you would like. Also, there may be other competing organisms in there since you didn’t get the chance to kill them off before letting the yeast do their work. Again, the medley of things could be wonderful. At some point, with a high enough abv, many of the other organisms won’t make it. Until then they too are adding to the mix of flavor in some way.

If it’s a small amount and you’re interested in seeing it though, let it go. It’s a good idea to add nutrients to support the yeast but they could also support other life in the jar. Honey doesn’t have the nutrients that other fermentables do.

Another option is to stop it altogether and start over, or to just stop it as you’ve said.

Does it smell good? Taste good? Use your senses to guide you. If it’s going sideways you will know. Not having guided the process from the beginning, you’re on a bit of a roller coaster since you don’t know what’s going to happen. That’s the exciting part. It could be the best mead ever, or, well, a terrible ride… LOL

Keep us posted!

Wow. awesome,
It's in a quart jar so not much investment if it goes south.
When I stop seeing bubbles, I will pull a taste and let you know
thanks for the info!

Removed from public view

Latest posts

Back