Ginger powder for wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeflections

Reaction score
I am eager to make a gallon of ginger wine to see if I like it as much as some ginger soda I made a couple of years ago. I am a big fan of ginger anything. However, being stranded away from the grocery store these days, I am unable to purchase ginger root. But I do happen to have a lot of good ginger powder my wife uses to make ginger bread.

Obviously, my question is how do you pros think it'll work? What would be the best way to incorporate it into a ginger recipe that calls for fresh root? I don't really want to add any other fruit or juice that would flavor it. Just ginger for this 1st experimental batch.

I am eager to make a gallon of ginger wine to see if I like it as much as some ginger soda I made a couple of years ago. I am a big fan of ginger anything. However, being stranded away from the grocery store these days, I am unable to purchase ginger root. But I do happen to have a lot of good ginger powder my wife uses to make ginger bread.

Obviously, my question is how do you pros think it'll work? What would be the best way to incorporate it into a ginger recipe that calls for fresh root? I don't really want to add any other fruit or juice that would flavor it. Just ginger for this 1st experimental batch.
i've never made ginger wine, but on other drinks and on some whom made a ginger wine they used ginger sticks, i've seen them online at different suppliers for alcohol uses, i don't know but ginger sticks and ginger powder could be close, just a guess, but ginger root could be something that sounds good to me, i'm going to see if i can find some root online, but first i wonder from some our fellow higher learners, how could it be disinfected, would washing ginger root in soap and water destroy the lipid enveloped corno virus? the way i under stand it, is once the envelope is broken then the virus dies????? yes/no/maybe,, anyone??????????????

Well, for better or worse, I just started it. I filled a 1.25 Gal Bubbler with 2.75# sugar and 1 oz powdered ginger. Brought it all to a boil and it tasted pretty good while sweet but we'll see. Also added energizer and acid blend. Since I boiled it, I didn't add campdon. SG was 1.091 and I expect to ferment it to dry and then maybe back sweeten it just a little.

ok, i think them people on e-bay are on drugs $13 a pound for fresh root, i have zero knowledge of hoe much root lb to water or apple juice or white grape juice, i look at different websites to see, e-bay is to expensive anymore, dang i don't like you no more, you got me queries on this.. lol
Dawg

Well, for better or worse, I just started it. I filled a 1.25 Gal Bubbler with 2.75# sugar and 1 oz powdered ginger. Brought it all to a boil and it tasted pretty good while sweet but we'll see. Also added energizer and acid blend. Since I boiled it, I didn't add campdon. SG was 1.091 and I expect to ferment it to dry and then maybe back sweeten it just a little.
let me know how it goes
Dawg

You still need to add campden or metabisulphite powder to create a favorable environment for yeast to overpower bacteria, as well as oxidation protection.
I have tested powder since it is in some dandelion recipes, ,,, it works. My first step would have been to take a neutral white wine and do a bench trial to guesstimate dosage level. In the dandelion the ginger bite was overpowering other flavors.
Ginger root is solid (slice or pound to flatten) so it could be used as a flavor in a finished wine.

Last edited:
You still need to add campden or metabisulphite powder to create a favorable environment for yeast to overpower bacteria, as well as oxidation protection.

Thanks for the reply!

I assumed boiling everything would kill any bacteria. I don't understand the oxidation protection. I didn't think that this was a problem at this stage. So much to learn!

Oh well, I guess it's too late now. It's fermenting well. I hope I will learn from this small batch.

I have used fresh ginger root in the past to make ginger soda. I would have used it this time if it was available. Of course we are severely limiting our trips to town these days.

Back