Ginger mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to make a ginger mead. I've seen very few videos. It doesn't seem to be common. Is there a reason?
If anyone has done it, any advice?
I'd like to make it a 11-12% abv.
I was thinking of making ginger puree.
Would clover honey be fine or would it benefit from a citrus?
Thanks

I'm interested in this as well. Found way too many recipes, some with hops or wheat or Irish moss, and many preparations of the ginger. Haven't made mead yet, so......
I'll probably do a ginger wine first. That's in my comfort zone. I'll be watching this thread.

I’m in the process of making a Barkshack Ginger Mead, and have a thread elsewhere on this site. Basically followed Charlie P’s recepie from his book, but went with a Tart Cherry flavoring. Used fresh, peeled, diced and boiled Ginger. I can share the recipe if interested.

I have made a straight mead and infused with fresh ginger slices during aging. Was a nice batch. Was subtle but there.

I haven’t made a ginger mead so don’t have favorite usage level.

Ginger is a dominant flavor, when I did a dandelion with ginger I lost the dandelion notes. As @swv notes you can steep with ginger in the secondary, ,,, or even a bench trial with individual bottles at several treatment levels of sliced ginger.

I have yet to try a ginger mead, but it's on the list. However from my research, I am of the opinion that introducing it in secondary is the way to go as ginger has natural anti septic properties, and many people have encountered stalled fermentations when introducing it in primary

I currently have ginger mead in a secondary. Followed Jack Keller recipe (more or less). Couple of differences from original recipe and used ferm O at 1/3 sugar depletion. Fermented to 0.994 and cleared nicely, but it did not get enough ginger flavor in my opinion. It may come through yet, but if it won't, I plan on adding ground ginger in a bag for bulk adding.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back