Ginger Lime

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
um, organic limes, um wax coating :slp where were you about two weeks ago??
so in short no! they were Wal-Mart Mexico limes.

as far as the balance, starting SG was 1.085 TA was 7.4 the PH was 3.2.
the must before the yeast was pitched was flipping awesome! Sweet with the ginger spice at the end followed by the "hint of citrus" lingering around.

I haven't pulled any taste test since then. I am assuming the flavors will change drastically after fermentation and bulk ageing.

Nice pics

Now what remains to be seen is how it taste ,nice job corrected if I'm wrong are you making this into a cello or into a wine? Whatever the result nice going, let me know how taste.:try

She's got allot of clearing to go before a taste test.
I'm not sure what you are referring to by "Cello" I do plan to keg and carbonate it once it clears.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by "Cello" I do plan to keg and carbonate it once it clears.

Duster, I think he is talking about lemoncello. Kegging???? now you really have my interest.

Looks pretty good.

Duster, you dont sneak a little taste in while you are racking? After that clears up I think you might end up with a pretty green color like you were aiming for. Good luck, Cracked

a little taste will do you

:mny you need to taste a little to se what its like at this stage in its life,to tart ,to sweet,not enough of this or that ,or too much alcohol,come on just a taste? to cello some or not to cello?:hug

it is clearing nicely, My wife and I think we should call it pond scum. The green color does not show up in the pic but it has a nice lime green hue to it.

0602121120.jpg

pond scum.jpg

Last edited:
it is clearing nicely, My wife and I think we should call it pond scum. The green color does not show up in the pic but it has a nice lime green hue to it.

lol...damn....i gotta admit, i really am getting a little jealous at the quality of the labels everyone is producing....i have made my own, and still do, but wow....you guys all really have been doing a nice job....i am envious at the creativity....nice job, duster...

I pulled a sample last night. :dg
I must say, it's gonna need some time :s
It may even need a precursor like a couple of rum and cokes and a good chaser.
only about 12% ABV but the ginger seems to really bring out the rocket fuel taste

Ok, the Ginger Lime has set in the bottle for a couple months now so I thought I would see if it is showing signs of improvement?
Not a chance. I ended up dumping the bottle and hope it dose not eat the plumbing under the sink.
I do not recommend this to anyone.

Resurrecting an old thread here.
Duster, do you think you overdid it on the ginger?
I did a ginger-lime wine for our November Wine of the Month club with far less ginger. I don't like a ginger kick in the mouth, I just like a little bit of ginger taste. I used a "gingerized" version of a successful simple lime recipe I've used before, with 1 ounce of sliced, twice-boiled ginger. This is roughly what I've used in other recipes with good results. I also used home grown Persian limes which are bigger than Walmart limes. So far, so good...

I'll be interested also; I've got a ginger wine recipe out of an old book from the 1970's and was thinking about making it.

I'm wondering if that is what it was as well.

I like ginger as much as the next gal, just a sweet little kiss of it usually. This amount seems like it would punch you in the mouth while trying to grab hold of your tonsils.

If I was to ever do it over again I would cut the ginger way back and try to locate some limes without any wax coating on them.

I am going to give some Ginger Lime a try with 2lb of ginger and 12 limes for 5 gallons. Has anyone tried this since this thread? I’d love thoughts on whether this seems like a good amount of ginger & lime.

Latest posts

Back