Quantcast

Ginger lime agave wine

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

crwagner89

Reaction score
Hey guys I just racked my ginger lime wine into the secondary and am really happy with how it turned out. I did a lime wine a few months ago that turned out really good, so I decided to experiment with it a bit. I wanted the primary flavor to be ginger, with lime being the secondary flavor. I used agave nectar in place of sugar just to add something unique to it. I was warned that fermenting agave will give a slight tequila taste but that's not really a bad thing to me. I've always been a big fan of spicy ginger beers, so I'm thinking that when this is ready I'm going to sweeten and force carbonate it. I think it will make a really nice summer drink or something to drink with sushi. This was my first fermentation with agave, and it went along really smoothly. Here's a picture after putting it in the secondary.

IMG_20161226_100917994.jpg

If there's any interest in the recipe let me know. Cheers!

AkTom

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Just for giggles, I'd like to see the recipe.
Thanks

crwagner89

Reaction score
Just for giggles, I'd like to see the recipe.
Thanks
Sorry for the delay. The recipe is:

Ginger lime agave (makes 1 gallon)

Juice of 8 limes and zest of 3-4 of them
8-10 oz shredded ginger
48 oz agave nectar
1/4 tsp tannin
Red Starr pasteur blanc yeast
Goferm and Fermaid O at recommended dosages
Pectic Enzyme
Campden Tablet

First I mixed all the lime juice, zest, and water in the primary. Then I took about 6 oz. of shredded ginger and boiled it in 4 cups of water to make a strong ginger tea. My idea was to add this to the must until it tasted gingery enough. I ended up dumping all of it in and wanting more, so I took the boiled ginger and added roughly 3 oz of fresh ginger and added it to the must in a mesh bag. I left it in for about 24 hours and then took it out before I pitched my yeast. Campden tablet, tannin, agave nectar, pectic enzyme, and nutrient were all added after the ginger.

AkTom

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe.

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm new to this forum so I wasn't aware of that thread. Looks like some pretty interesting recipes.
Spring Grove, damn your a hop and a skip away from me! You don't happen to know Jeff from ThunderRidge Vineyards do you? I get some fall grapes from there and I definitely recommend his grapes and advice.

Welcome to the forum!

crwagner89

Reaction score
Spring Grove, damn your a hop and a skip away from me! You don't happen to know Jeff from ThunderRidge Vineyards do you? I get some fall grapes from there and I definitely recommend his grapes and advice.

Welcome to the forum!
Hey Craig, small world! I actually just moved back to Spring Grove a few months ago. I was living out towards Lancaster for a few years but I'm originally from Spring Grove. It's funny that you mention Thunder Ridge someone else was just telling me the same exact thing. I actually live just a few minutes from them but I haven't checked it out yet. I just got into winemaking this year but I'll definitely give them a visit. When are the grapes in season?

ceeaton

Fifth year
Reaction score
Usually early September through mid-October. He has 2000+ vines and grows quite a few varieties. He doesn't offer all of them for sale every year, but I've made a Chardonel, Dornfelder and Cab Franc from his grapes so far. If you ever stop in mention that you are a home wine maker as he has his degree and has been teaching courses I think through HACC. He loves helping us little guys out and really has a wealth of knowledge to share. He'll even help you plan and plant vines if you are so inclined. He's an incredibly nice person.