Gewurztraminer - best choice of yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I don't typically make grape wines but I picked out a Gewurztraminer kit the other day and was wondering what might be the preferred yeast for such a wine. The kit comes with the Swiss army knife yeast EC 1118 but I cannot believe that that yeast will bring out the best of this wine.. How does D47 grab you? Thoughts? Thanks

I'm just a newbie, but I used Cote des Blancs in the one I just did (my first kit) and it turned out great, in my inexperienced opinion. :) In my research, I did see D47 and QA23 also recommended.

Cool, thanks for the confirmations. :) The Cotes was the only decent option I could get my hands on quickly, and I was inpatient to start my first kit, so I went with it. Maybe it wasn't ideal, but I like how it turned out.

I have ordered both D47 and QA23 for another Gewurz kit that is arriving today, but I'm not sure which one I will use on it. Sounds like D47 is preferred by most. Has anyone used QA23 and if so, what did you think of it?

I don't typically make grape wines but I picked out a Gewurztraminer kit the other day and was wondering what might be the preferred yeast for such a wine. The kit comes with the Swiss army knife yeast EC 1118 but I cannot believe that that yeast will bring out the best of this wine.. How does D47 grab you? Thoughts? Thanks

I don't make a lot of white wines but my goto's are Assmannshausen (AMH), QA23, Rhone 4600 or even 71B-1122. I'm sure D47 work work just fine.

I am wondering if you are talking about a WinExpert California Symphony Gewurtz. If so, I would point out that it has a reserve pack which you add after complete fermentation. My point is, it is very important that you choose a yeast that will give you complete fermentation and that is why they probably chose the "turbo yeast," EC1118.

What wine yeast would not give you a brut dry wine if the starting gravity was about 1.082? EC-1118 is a sledgehammer, not a scalpel. It adds no character to any wine. It's a wine -maker's "Wonderbread", nothing artisanal about that strain.

What wine yeast would not give you a brut dry wine if the starting gravity was about 1.082? EC-1118 is a sledgehammer, not a scalpel. It adds no character to any wine. It's a wine -maker's "Wonderbread", nothing artisanal about that strain.

Funny you should ask that question. I just finished a Riesling that I wanted off dry as well and was going to use a cider yeast until a professional winemaker told me there is probably too many yeast cells floating around in my winery that could mix with the cider yeast and make it go dry. Don't know if it's true or not so I just decided to back sweeten it.

Interesting, mainshipfred. I wouldn't have thought that the cause of a full fermentation was solely due to the indigenous yeast hanging around your winery and wine making equipment. It's just that at 11 or 12% ABV wine yeast are not under very much stress and they have more than enough fuel in their tanks to reach that mark and would continue further if they found additional sugar. From the other side trying to halt a fermentation chemically that would end at 12% is much like trying to catch a bullet between your teeth. Stage magicians apparently do it but when mere mortals attempt it the results can be a bloody mess ... if yer knows what I mean..

Very likely the reason WinExpert includes EC1118 in many kits is that it is pretty much a fool proof yeast. They make the kits for the "masses" and have no idea what the individual tastes or expertise levels of the consumers are nor the environment (temperature, humidity, etc.) in which the wine will be made. EC1118 is just a safe bet for them. If, as the winemaker, you want to try another yeast, knock yourself out. Personally, I follow the instructions and use what comes with the kit. After all, I am not making 90+ point wines here and a wine like Gewurtztraminer is one we drink at lunchtime or in the afternoons with a little bread and cheese. I have a triple batch of the California Symphony on right now which will be drinkable early next year and likely be gone by a year from now. All glory is fleeting.

Rocky, True, very true, but I think the idea is for the wine maker to always try to make the best wine he or she can make. The kit maker has a different goal and that is to have the people who buy the kit have the least problems when they make the wine. Two different goals and the goals, while not mutually exclusive are not necessarily similar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back