WineXpert Getting the skins out of the bag...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all of you kit wine makers, I wonder if you could let me know your method of getting all of those pesky grape skins out of the bag or container in which they are shipped. I don't have a problem with the skins in the plastic bottles (RJ Spagnols, I believe) but those bags give me trouble and I feel I leave a lot behind. What I did on my last two bags was to cut one whole side out of the bag and scoop the skins out this a slotted spoon. What do you guys and gals do? The instruction call for cutting one corner out of the bag and removing them through that opening. The skins I just used (Amarone and Malbec) were very much of a clump and did not pour through the opening when I tried the "corner cut" method. Also, I have used some of the "added water" to rinse out the bags. That seems to work well.

I do two things. First I soak the skins bag in hot water for 10-15 minutes. That really loosens them up and they squeeze out much easier. I cut a corner, creating about a 3-4" opening and squeeze it out through there. Finally I put in a cup or two of water and swish it around to get the rest. Then the bag, and water all get dumped in primary.

I stretch my bag over a large, sanitized glass mixing bowl. I used to cut a corner, but have found it easier and cleaner to just open the cap. I squeeze out as much as I can, then I add water. Usually takes a couple of times with vigorous swishing to get all the skins out. I add any oak chips to the bag and tie it, leaving a lot of room inside the bag for things to drift about within it. I carry the bowl to my bucket, lift the bag out of the bowl and into the bucket, then dump in the excess water from the skins bag rinsing that collected in the bowl.
Of course, I don't add all the water at the start to allow for this. I hold back a half gallon, or so, for the skins bag rinse.

I just open the bag as instructed and squeeze out as much as I can. On certain occasions when I might feel there's a lot left in there, I'll swish a little water in there and pour out. I don't think I usually have more than 1/4 cup or so left in the bag and to me, that isn't going to make a material difference in the wine.

Latest posts

Back