Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since your primary is well on its way now I would probably leave it alone now. Check it after it is done and adjust before putting through the secondary.

Sam

Thank you Sam. I didn't see this before. Wish I did though. It's clearing right now. I'll check before the bottle and see what's going on. I really appreciate the information. Good luck with your ferms.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Quick question: I picked up some apple cider to use as a filler in my strawberry batch. Didn't look and the cider has that dreaded potassium sorbate in it. No idea what the concentration would be.

Question is, if I mix it all together will the yeast still do it's thing? It's about 17L of berry juice and 6L of cider

Very good catch!!!
Sorbate will not kill yeast, but is like birth control for yeast. Once you introduce it it will limit yeast reproduction. i would wait till SG is about 1.005 before adding the cider. It will ferment a bit longer, but not much. thats why the very low SG

Hope this helps

Pam in cinti

I was pretty sure that was the answer but figured I would ask anyways.

Thanks, now to try and track down some different cider.

Mold on my must

I just started 3 batches of muscadine wine. I have added the 1/4 teaspoon of sodium metabisulfite to the must, then next day the pectic enzyme, the yeast nutrient and calcium carbonate. After letting is sit 24 hours I was bringing up the SG by adding sugar water. It was getting late, so I didn't let the sugar water cool all the way to room temperature. This morning I have mold growing. I skimmed it off, and added more sodium metabisulfate. Do I also have to add more of the other ingredients tomorrow or can I continue adding more sugar water after letting it sit the 24 hours, then wait a day and add the yeast. Should I do a quick start solution for my yeast?

Thanks.
Cecilia

Need help determining how much rouge tannin to add

I am making 5 gallons of Blackberry Jam wine. I want to add rouge tannin before ferment.

Scott labs recommends the following:

200-500 ppm 20-50 g/hL 1.6-4.0 lb/1000 gal

I want to start with the low end so I want 30 g/hl.

I understand that hl = hecto liters or 100 liters.

thus, I divide 30 by 100 and get .3 grams per liter.

I am making 5 gallons which is 18.9 liters

.3 grams X 18.9 liters = 5.67 grams

Do I need 5.67 grams of tannin for the 5 gallons.

Do you have a suggestion of more or less rouge tannin

Thanks for reading this and helping.

Buster

Last edited:
I agree with your math. I do not have an opinion on how much to use. For grape wines, I generally use about 0.35 g/liter.

I use 6 gallon batches. With that volume, you can just approximate that 23 L is about 1/4 of a hL. So I just take the number of g/hL (in this case, 30 g), and divide by 4.

HELP!!!, I have clearing issues with 6 gallons of a Danger Daves strawberry tart wine started in Feb.
i used 15Lbs of fresh strawberries, 105 ozs strawberry daiquiri mix made with "real fruit" and water and lemon juice as the base. specific gravity was 1.090 & really roiled for a few days then went dry-.990, and after a few days in the carboy it seemed to start back up and roiled a few days into and out through the airlock. fast forward to degassing and racking which have been done thoroughly numerous time and i mean many!!! no gas left and still not clear. I have hit it 2x with a clearing agent ( sparkallloid 1st then the one you boil, the name escapes me ) and also hit it with 2 doses pectic enzyme it still looks like fruit punch almost 3+ months later. temps have been in the low to mid 70's and i have run it through a 5 & 1 micron whole house filter 8x in 1 day about 2 weeks ago. should i try more sparkalloid and let it sit before trying the filter again? This stuff should have been in the bottle in March but I was told Strawberry could take a few weeks Longer but months?

Welcome, You just did,lol, Ask a question pertaining to the specific forum topic , If we cant help , I am sure someone here can direct you to the proper forum topic site. The folks here are very knowledgable and friendly too. So again welcome to the site!

I'm fairly new to winemaking. I've made about 35 gal of sangiovese which turned out good, and about 18 gal of sauvignon blanc which I'm having problems with.
I was not able to get the brix down below zero, and bottled it anyway. There is now a lot of effervescence in the bottles. I've heard this could be due to residual sugar or malolactic fermentation. What is my best next step? I'm ok with rebottling it.

I'm fairly new to winemaking. I've made about 35 gal of sangiovese which turned out good, and about 18 gal of sauvignon blanc which I'm having problems with.
I was not able to get the brix down below zero, and bottled it anyway. There is now a lot of effervescence in the bottles. I've heard this could be due to residual sugar or malolactic fermentation. What is my best next step? I'm ok with rebottling it.

Was this from a kit, juice, or fresh grapes? Either way, you should get it out of those bottles or you're likely to have corks popping and a big mess on your hands. Sounds like you bottled before it was done fermenting. Get it back into a carboy, let it get to zero brix. Add some sulfite, let it clear, then rebottle.

It was fresh grapes. Do I need to add more yeast and nutrient to get it going? I bottled it 9 months after starting, I thought that was enough.
Thanks Jim

I still am not sure how to proceed. I've put wine back into a carboy, and checked for residual sugar using clinitest tablets. It tested about 1/2% RS.

You can add a little Super Ferment. It will energize the remaining yeast and ferment dry.

You will then need to clear it again to get all sediment and yeast out.

Add some Sorbate. This will stop any remaining yeast from reproducing.

Nutrients and stuff

I've not seen a thread telling about different nutrients and stuff. I want to know what is the difference in Potassium Metabisulphite and Sodium Meta. ? Are they both considered Campden tabs? If there is a thread for all nutrient info, can you direct me there? Thank you!

Latest posts

Back