Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK make simple syrup. 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. heat water to almost a boil add sugar whisk over heat till clear. add slowly to wine and taste often.

Sully, how is the strawberry taste of the wine? If you want more of it, you could substitute juice exctacted from fresh strawberries for the water in your "simple syrup." Get a pint or two of fresh strawberries, rough chop them, boild them in a saucepan and strain out a cup or so of the liquid and add two cups of sugar. Using this, you would sweeten and add flavor at the same time. Remember to stabilize with k-sorbate before adding any sweetener.

I saw a formula for adding simple syrup to a small volume of wine to determine how much to add to the whole batch. If I recall, it was like teaspoons to a cup or some such. And then had the conversion factor for a gallon. I neglected to write it down. Does anyone have this or know where I could find it???
Thanks in advance.

Tomato Wine Problem? HELP!

HELP! I started a batch of tomato wine 3 days ago. After allowing 24 hours, I pitched the yeast. Active fermentation was visible in 24 hours. The initial SG was 1.095. After 48 hours my SG is already down to 1.002. I did stir before taking a reading. Do I have a problem or should I just proceed to racking to a secondary?

Where's getting my answer fast? LOL! I used Red Star Montrachet and active fermentation in the primary is not visible anymore it seems. Just checked the SG again and it is now below 1.000. I did 2 batches of tomato wine at the same time, this one which is with raisins added and another with grape juice concentrate added and Lalvin 1122. I have read a bit about fast fermentations such as this happening for others. Should I just rack to a secondary?

Well no help here I guess. SG was .990 this morning. Racked to Secondary. I conclude just a fast fermentation. Everything else seemed normal.

No problems, MACs.

The original intent of this thread was to explain how to create a new topic/post in a way that will get you a faster answer.

This thread wasn't intended as a place to post questions that need fast answers.

No problems, MACs.

The original intent of this thread was to explain how to create a new topic/post in a way that will get you a faster answer.

This thread wasn't intended as a place to post questions that need fast answers.
Didn't realize that....no worries. Thanks.

Yep, I guess I should have created this thread and then closed it for reading purposes only. LOL.

Hi,

I think I made a mistake. I am making a Cellar Tracker Selection Estate white Bordeaux (special kit). I decided to try using extended directions. Around August 15 I started the kit, and following the adjusted directions, did not add the Bentonite. Original gravity was 1.088. On August 24, I racked to the carboy. Temperature in by basement has been steady in upper '60's. Yesterday I checked SG at .990. At this point, the extended directions told me to add the bentonite solution to a clean carboy, add the sorbate and metabisulphite, and then rack in the wine. On the other hand, the kit directions said in bold, "Do NOT rack the winebefore stabilizing and fining." As a compromise, I (vigorously) stirred in the bentonite, then repeated with the metabisuplphite and sorbate, then repeated with clarifier. Lots of gas was released. When everything settled, I have about two inches of scum on top of the wine. My thought is just to stir some more, and wait. I am worried that when I rack this that I'll have lees on the bottom, and sum on the surface. Any other suggestions?

P1020920.jpg

P1020921.jpg

Topping up German Muller-Thurgau

Anyone have a suggestion on what to top up a WE German Muller-Thurgau with? I'm getting ready to bulk age a batch and have come up empty trying to find something that's the same or very similar. Thanks!

Could be hydrogen sulfide in your wine.

The possible causes of hydrogen sulfide contamination are:
  • Too much sulfites, usually the result of grapes being dusted with too much sulfur during the growing season
  • Lack of proper nutrients (nitrogen, yeast hulls) during fermentation
  • Yeast combining with various forms of sulfur (some folks swear that Red Star Montrachet yeast is notorious for causing H2S, but we've never experienced this ourselves)
  • Bacterial contamination due to poor sanitation technique

H2S contamination can be prevented if you:
  • Add proper amounts of sulfites to wine
  • If making wine from scratch (not from a kit), add a proper amount of yeast nutrient prior to pitching yeast (Fermax, DAP, etc.)
  • Use proper yeast for the wine you're making, and make sure it has not passed the expiration date or gotten too hot in storage.
  • Maintain sanitary conditions for your equipment and must (especially prior to pitching yeast)

I have read that you can do the steps below to rid the rotten egg smell:
  • First, measure the amount of sulfites in your wine using a test kit
  • If deficient, treat wine to 50 PPM sulfites
  • Rack and splash - rack your wine two or three times, being sure to splash it around a lot as the wine goes from vessel to vessel. The aeration (introduction of oxygen) will help counteract the H2S.
  • Put the airlock back on and wait a couple of hours or overnight. If it still smells like rotten eggs, keep going...
  • Get a piece of copper (i.e. copper flashing) from a home supply store.
  • Pour the wine over the copper so that it runs over the surface of the metal into a receiving vessel.
  • Fine or filter the wine.
  • By now, the sulfur smell should at least be greatly diminished. If you can still detect a smell (we've heard that humans can detect H2S in quantities as low as 2 parts per billion), you might try to use an egg white or a gelatin fining agent and fine your wine. Add normal amounts recommended by the manufacturer.
  • Filter wine through a tight filter.
  • When all else fails you can use copper sulfate on your wine. A 0.1% solution added at about 0.5 ml per gallon, will give you about 0.3 PPM copper sulfate in your wine. BE CAREFUL. Remember, this stuff is poisonous. DO NOT EXCEED 0.5 PPM of copper.
  • Fine your wine with a bentonite or Sparkolloid fining agent. This will remove all the copper sulfate.
  • Filter wine if necessary to remove fining agent.

thank you! so helpful for me, too. you have answered many questions at once

Can someone remind of how much Lalvin VP41 MBR® to add to 5 gallons red to initiate MLF. Thanks.

Can you help I can't seem to find on here where I post messages. I've changed my phone to a iPhone and doesn't seem to come up the same as the Samsung.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Should I adjust acids to an actively fermenting fresh berry wine?

I'm about 40 hours s/p yeast pitch. SG was 1.064 a couple hours ago.

My Tartaric Acid is 0.56%. I want 0.60%. Should I adjust now, later, is it too late, do I forget about it, am I close enough? I don't have a clue how to make the decision.

I would really appreciate any thoughts. Have a great night everyone, take care.

Noob

Should I adjust acids to an actively fermenting fresh berry wine?

I'm about 40 hours s/p yeast pitch. SG was 1.064 a couple hours ago.

My Tartaric Acid is 0.56%. I want 0.60%. Should I adjust now, later, is it too late, do I forget about it, am I close enough? I don't have a clue how to make the decision.

I would really appreciate any thoughts. Have a great night everyone, take care.

Noob

Since your primary is well on its way now I would probably leave it alone now. Check it after it is done and adjust before putting through the secondary.

Sam

Latest posts

Back