Getting the answer you want fast!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Welcome all wine makers! When you need an answer on wine making please be very specific as to what the recipe is, temp, starting gravity and gravity now, amount of sulfites added, Brand and exact kit being made, in other words provide us with as much info as you can otherwise we will have to answer your question with one of these questions as we dont want to give you the wrong answer. Doing this will most likely give us enough info to properly diagnose whats going on with your wine. We so want to help you get your batch of wine finished and done right because we are all one big wine making family!

Acid adjust

Greetings Wade:

Newcomer on board. Made some peach wine. Tested the acid prior to primary. Need acid as my goal was to reach .60 percent. Which is low I know for peach. Creeped up slowly to about .50 percent. Tested it three times to confirm. My plans were to add additional acid to reach the .60 percent mark AFTER primary.

After primary, (about 3 weeks) tested acid again before adding any acid. It read .80 percent without adding. What happen? Will acid increase during primary? This happen to my strawberry, too. This seems unusally as I never had this problem before. Is it the fruit? Suggestions?

while in preimary the pectic enzyme is extracting everything from the fruit including color, tannins, flavor and even acids. Those acids usually will decrease during fermentation but not right in the begging as the acids are being extracted. Welcome, where you be from?

Acid Bound

Thanks Wade. I'm just north of Freeort, Illinois. I will assume you like guns, as noted from your photo. A little about me: I was at my range yesterday poping a few caps down range lining my scope in until the heavy snow started. Heading out this evening for some coyotes.

Another point to consider is that if you didn't degas the sample taken during/post fermentation, the dissolved CO2 can give you an inaccurately high TA reading. You can either shake the sample vigorously several times, or you can quickly bring it to a boil for a few seconds on the stove top and then let it cool back down to room temp. before testing... this will drive off any dissolved gases.

Does anyone out there now of any wine making suppliers around the Atoka TN. area

A quick GOOGLE will get you...

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS332US332&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=wine+making+suppliers+in+Atoka+Tn&fb=1&gl=us&hq=wine+making+suppliers&hnear=Atoka+Tn&view=text&ei=Is2TS8LsLIuVtgfXktTVCg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CB0QtwMwAA[/ame]

Does anyone out there now of any wine making suppliers around the Atoka TN. area Newcomer on board. Made some peach wine. Tested the acid prior to primary. Need acid as my goal was to reach .60 percent. Which is low I know for peach. Creeped up slowly to about .50 percent. Tested it three times to confirm. My plans were to add additional acid to reach the .60 percent mark AFTER primary. After primary, (about 3 weeks) tested acid again before adding any acid. It read .80 percent without adding. What happen? Will acid increase during primary? This happen to my strawberry, too. This seems unusally as I never had this problem before. Is it the fruit? Suggestions? while in preimary the pectic enzyme is extracting everything from the fruit including color, tannins, flavor and even acids. Those acids usually will decrease during fermentation but not right in the begging as the acids are being extracted. Welcome, where you be from?

hi all.. very new at this ..so bear with me please .. (i am trying to make wine ) i have it down now for a week but not hearing any bubbles or noises from it ..but i sure can smell it and my temperature is between 65-75 .. can you please help me out here...is this wine ok ..like i said very new at making wine first timer here ..
thank you..

hi all.. very new at this ..so bear with me please .. (i am trying to make wine ) i have it down now for a week but not hearing any bubbles or noises from it ..but i sure can smell it and my temperature is between 65-75 .. can you please help me out here...is this wine ok ..like i said very new at making wine first timer here ..
thank you..

Did you add the yeast the same time as the sulfites?

Also - did you add any yeast nutrient to aid the yeast?

Welcome all wine makers! When you need an answer on wine making please be very specific as to what the recipe is, temp, starting gravity and gravity now, amount of sulfites added, Brand and exact kit being made, in other words provide us with as much info as you can otherwise we will have to answer your question with one of these questions as we dont want to give you the wrong answer. Doing this will most likely give us enough info to properly diagnose whats going on with your wine. We so want to help you get your batch of wine finished and done right because we are all one big wine making family!

What if you've never took the gravity or added sulfites or even yeast?....LOL
To me that would be a problem because I've never used anythnig but the fruits and sugar for my wines, kinda do it as simple as possible but I'm working on getting more knowledge and I'm going to start using some of the equipment used by normal wine makers lol.

hello everyone. i live in the midlands of England and have just made my first batch of plum wine. the plums were most likely greengages as are a pale yellow/green. I have followed all the usual rules and got to the part where i have moved to my secondary fermenter (demijohn) and its bubbling away vigorously. my only problem is that i have almost an inch of sugar build up at the bottom of the jar. i diluted the sugar in boiling water prior to adding so cannot fathom what has caused this. i have not encounter a problem with my apple, mixed berry or strawberry efforts. can anyone shed some knowledge for me.

many thanks

james

That doesn't sound like sugar, sounds like you just have more lees than usual. But if you are sure it is sugar I would suggest stirring it up to get it to disolve, but I really don't think it is sugar. What were your SG reading at the start and what was it when you put it in the secondary?

I also agree withe PW. Plums can throw alot of sedimant. Besides if it was sugar I doubt you would see that much. let it go dry and racl leaving the lees behind

hi

thanks guys. the foam appears to be rapidly diminshing now whilst this deposit to the bottom is still there. i believed it to be sugar due to its white appearance. my initial sc was 94.2 and had altered little on my second reading. is this alittle low? as a novice i hope to be around the 100 mark, no reason for this though!

as a thought, if i rack once the ferment settles and it is sugar what should i do? i will need it to both add to the alcohol and sweetness surely?

another question (sorry i am new to this) i start my first ferment in a plastic 5 gallon bin with bung and bubbler. once the ferment quietens sufficiently i then siphon into a glass 1 gallon demijohn leaving behind most of the yeast and lees. after a month i rack and mostly replace the bubbler with a rubber or cork bung so to prevent oxidation. is this correct? i have read on here about adding a second yeast or something to boost things up, so to speak.

thanks

James

You need a airlock (bubbler) on untill you bottle. Make sure there is water in it.
Not sure what you mean sc is 94.2?

Latest posts

Back