getting ready for grapes---grape newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
So I've done about 30 kits and am going to go for grapes.....I am putting together my shopping list -I've got grapes, destemmer and press lined up. Have the Oak Barrel also...this is my shopping list. Am I missing anything?
Thanks for the help!!! I'm so excited!!!!
  1. Yeast
  2. Potassium Meta-bisulfite (K-Meta)
  3. Yeast Nutrient
  4. Ascorbic Acid
  5. Fining agents (im thinking bentonite)
  6. Oak
  7. Maloactic Bacteria
  8. SO2 (Sulfur Dioxide) Test Kit
  9. Malic Acid Test Kit
  10. T.A. (Total Acid) Test Kit
  11. pH Test Kit
  12. mlb confirmation paper
  13. food safe buckets for primaries
  14. Carboys for secondaries/ageing what doesn't go in the barrel.

What kind of grapes are you getting?

Your list is pretty good, you will deff want to use the bentonite.

Cabernet, Zinfandel and Shiraz. I thought I'd try 6 lugs of cabernet, 3 lugs of zinfandel and Shiraz and do bench trials on blends of those 3 after ageing.
I am open to all advice!
Thanks

Im with @Johnd on the fining. You are looking at three years likely to be good and drinkable. Let time do the hard work. Also, why the abscorbic acid? You might make sure you have a source for tartaric in case you need it. Don’t know where your grapes will come from but might meet an acid kick. Everywhere in NA has been hot this year. You might also consider opti-malo or similar. Cheap insurance.

Welcome to the next step in the addiction.

Agree with @Johny99 on the ascorbic acid - you want tartaric. Along with your ML bacteria, get some Acti-ML for hydrating. Also add some Opti-Malo to the wine before adding your MLB.

Not a shopping list suggestion- just a general one.
30 kits is a lot. The process probably got pretty routine for ya. But all the new aspects for grapes can be tricky at 1st.
The few things that differ from kit instructions.
-no bentonite needed in the primary
-or any fining agents at all really
-no degassing needed
-“secondary” isn’t a real thing. And some people in the wine business refer to MLF as “secondary” too.
-IMO a very different early development. Kits develop more straightforward in my experience. Grape wines really throw ya curve balls. I always a notice a point soon after fermentation where the wine tastes fantastic- like it could be bottled and drank right then. Then a week or so you taste it and your like wtf? What happened? It tastes so rough now! But then after letting mlf finish and some more time she comes around—reassuring you why you decided to make grape wines. The flavor, fruit, tannin, bouquet etc.. all are powerful. And you really get a feel for how time allows all these aspects to mellow and get in sync with each other.

And when I doubt I always refer to my winemaking bible. It’s detailed for what to do— and also WHY your doing it. The Morewine red guide is your friend.
https://morewinemaking.com/web_files/intranet.morebeer.com/files/wredw.pdf

Latest posts

Back