Getting out the final cloudiness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirknotes

Reaction score
There are still lots of minor lees forming at the bottom of my carboys....I have heard it is bad for the wine to keep transferring it to new carboys during secondndary fermentation because it comes in contact with oxygen again....what it the best method to filter off the wine away from these minor lees so the minor lees do not negatively affect the final product?

I wouldn't worry so much about getting the wine off the fine lees. I do not believe they are likely to "negatively affect the final product," so I would let it roll until alcoholic fermentation is quite done.

What kind of wine are we talking about here?

I wouldn't worry so much about getting the wine off the fine lees. I do not believe they are likely to "negatively affect the final product," so I would let it roll until alcoholic fermentation is quite done.
What kind of wine are we talking about here?

Red grape wine - home grown.

There a good 3" of solids & fine lees in the bottom of the carboy - shouldn't the wine be separated from those before going into the final fermenting stage? Once the SG is down to below 1.0?

yes remove and rack as soon as possible. gross less can add bad flavors since they contain dead yeast and other yeast feeding on them. basic rules that I follow is rack three days after pressing and fermentation is complete, three weeks of off fine lees and then every three months during bulk aging. add k meta after three day rack.

Inches of lees need to be racked off. The light dusting of lees at the bottom of a carboy during bulk aging is a good thing. You can even stir those up once in a while during bulk aging and it helps the flavor firm up faster, especially if you're impatient to bottle it.

Latest posts

Back