Quantcast

Getting logged off

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

smurfe

Reaction score
I am having issues with getting logged off of the forums. It seems that if I spend any amount of time typing a post when I go to submit it says I am not logged in and my post is gone. I just spent about 15 minutes typing a very detailed post for a member and it was all lost.

What are the settings for the forum for the system logging you out? It really makes one not want to waste their time in typing anything of detail or substance. I love answering peoples questions so is there any way we can check on this and change the settings?

thanks

Smurfe :)

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All things related to login is your browser setting. If you are getting logged off, it's your browesr. Clear your cache, cookies, temp files and restart your computer. CLICK REMEMBER ME? WHEN YOU LOGIN AS WELL!

If you are clicking Remember Me? when you login you should never NOT be logged in unless you delete your cookies or click LOG OUT. I haven't logged in since this forum opened.

smurfe

Reaction score
Must be the cookies getting cleaned. I do a maintenance thing once a week that clears all cookies I believe. What confuses me is if I am logged in and posting, why it logs me off without me clicking log off or closing my browser. As long as my browser is open to the site and I am indeed logged in, it shouldn't log out until I tell it to or close the browser unless I am way off base. That is the issue I am having.

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
I had the same problem.

I noticed the problem occurs if you have multiple windows open and while typing a message you switch from one window to another.

For example while typing an answer to a post I sometimes open another window in my browser to check my brabbel :p on google or another website. If I then return, paste the answer in the post and submit the forum told me I was not logged in and gone with the wind was my post .......

Luc

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
By the way,

Just type your text in a text processor (word or wordpad or whatever you non-linux dumbo's :D are using) and then paste the text into the forum editor.

Works great and no text will be lost.

Luc

smurfe

Reaction score
Luc, that is what happened. I was typing a post and opened another Tab (window) (I use IE 7) to get some info for my post. I guess it does it then.

oxeye

Reaction score
I disagree that it is the users browser setting causing a conflict.

HomeBrewTalkDotCom operates with the exact same forum software package, and I have never had the same, or any, kind of problem there, or anywhere else, for that matter!

Something is awry somewhere, though!

Later,

oxeye

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out Smurfe, appreciate hearing your advice.
Troy

bein_bein

Reaction score
I have had the same issue on this and other forums... Since I don't like loading my system up with a lot of 'stuff' , my browser (Firefox) is set to delete everything when I close it. So when I am posting a message I do this. When I am done typing in my message, BEFORE I hit 'submit' I highlight my entire message I typed and then 'right click' and 'COPY'. Then I hit submit. If it says I need to log in, I do so, get back to the appropriate thread, hit 'Reply" then just 'paste' my entire response into the window and 'Submit'. Works well for me... :)

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I do that everytime I post a long message to cause i am not going to type all that again.

Latest posts