Quantcast

Getting from basic to perfection?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Kevin67

Junior
Reaction score
While I enjoy drinking (lucky me!) and exploring its nuances, I have a certain nervousness borne of lack of experience and education.

Right now I'm doing a bunch of reading and what I'm realising is how do I learn the difference in taste, say, when a particular tannin is added or other perhaps subtle different ways of making wine?

I know part of it is experience. I'm also wondering at what point do I take my own word for it (being more educated in making wine) than my friends who simply just glug it down and think a burp is the height of sophistication?

When do you decide to change the temp of ferm, which tannin to add and when, which yeast might perform better or even blend yeasts, perhaps?

I know I'm slightly over thinking it but there's a time very soon when I'll be delighted with a recipe but I'll want to perfect it but haven't the foggiest where to start!

Here's a glass or two to you all!
Kevin

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
While I enjoy drinking (lucky me!) and exploring its nuances, I have a certain nervousness borne of lack of experience and education.

Right now I'm doing a bunch of reading and what I'm realising is how do I learn the difference in taste, say, when a particular tannin is added or other perhaps subtle different ways of making wine?

I know part of it is experience. I'm also wondering at what point do I take my own word for it (being more educated in making wine) than my friends who simply just glug it down and think a burp is the height of sophistication?

When do you decide to change the temp of ferm, which tannin to add and when, which yeast might perform better or even blend yeasts, perhaps?

I know I'm slightly over thinking it but there's a time very soon when I'll be delighted with a recipe but I'll want to perfect it but haven't the foggiest where to start!

Kevin
Don't feel special, I would say the majority of us on here constantly ask ourselves the same questions.

ceeaton

Sixth year
Reaction score
Drink more. As with a job interview, education is great, but on the job experience is worth more.
Right now I'm doing a bunch of reading and what I'm realizing is how do I learn the difference in taste, say, when a particular tannin is added or other perhaps subtle different ways of making wine?
I think you are stuck with experimenting. I'm lucky that I have a few winemakers locally (somewhat) that many times make a certain kit or batch of wine the same time I do. We can taste each others wine side by side and talk about the different ways we made the wine and learn from that. You can also split a batch into two or three sub-batches and experiment that way (say, use different yeasts or add tannins to one and not the other).
All I can say is I've had wine that is terrible that the person that recommended it to me thought it was the best they had ever tasted. I've also had wine I've made that I wasn't proud of and others thought it was great (might have been because it was "free wine").
When you mess up a batch and think it was too hot, then try fermenting it cooler. Try some tannin on a batch. I have one from 2.5 years ago that needs to age more because the tannins are still too dominate (won't add that much tannin again).

Kevin
But you are thinking, that is where it all starts. And you want to make a good wine. Just keep doing what you are doing (read everything you can get your hands on, and learn from this site, and ask lots of questions. Just realize there may be quite a few ways to get to the same endpoint. Use the one that works for you best (convenience wise)).

Kevin67

Junior
Reaction score
What an amazing reply! Thank you, ceeaton!

Certainly to drink more "intelligently". I think I'll have to be more proactive in looking for people like me who would /could provide the feedback I need. Splitting the batches is probably going to be the quickest way to get to my goal.

I'm going to let your reply ferment in my head. Thank you again for your help.

All the best. Kevin.

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
If you have an opportunity to do some wine tasting with experienced and knowledgeable folks, maybe a class, that’s a good start, just learning the basics. Velvety tannins vs gripping tannins, big fruit vs subtle, minerality, vanilla, tar, tobacco, currants, red fruit, black fruit, etc., lots to absorb.

Even more beneficial, are those fortunate enough to work with a talented winemaker. To be able to taste fresh fruit or juice, and know what fermentation temps and techniques to employ, cold soaking, what oak to use and for how long, press early or late, etc.

So much wine, so little time, drink up!

Kevin67

Junior
Reaction score
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more!

I'll check with my local wine store about classes....

Thanks!
Kevin