Getting fresh Juice for the first time - questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I am getting fresh juice for the first time and I will have to transport it in the car for 8 to 10 hours. The vendor says it can ferment with the lid sealed and many just do the complete ferment in the buckets.

I suppose the buckets have a hole for airlocks. I was planning on getting waterless airlocks but I see they are only for carboys.

I will start the ferment a day or two before I need to transport.

I am planning to use a regular airlock, probably he two piece, and fill with sterile glycerin.

I will place the buckets in a plastic bin and they will be in a car.

I have considered keeping ice bags around them until I get back to Alabama and that might be up to four days after I pick the buckets up. I would toss the yeast when I get back to Alabama. I don't want the juice to begin ferment naturally.

Any suggestions? Opinions?

My concern would the that the buckets I've bought are full to the top. If so you'd have zero headspace and nowhere for the ferment to go.
Maybe take an extra bucket for each couple of buckets you buy to split them up and make some room.
Mike

The pails do not have a place for the air lock. They have a make shift relief valve (rubber) to relieve pressure should they start to ferment. Are these pails pre-inoculated with yeast? I would prefer not opening them before going home, However to ensure fermentation doesn't start you may want to hit them with a dose of k-meta. You didn't mention how many pails you're getting. The idea of keeping them cold on dry ice isn't a bad idea if it's only one or two pails.

I think it has the relief valve. I will try to keep it cold with ice, maybe dry ice for a few days. It I keep it cold with ice, seems to me like it would not ferment.

When I get them at Harford, they are out of a big walk in cooler. They take several hours to get to room temperature, as many as 8-10. If yours are stored similarly then it won't be an issue.
Heather

Heather,

Other than the relief valve, those buckets are sealed, right? Just don't want to stain the seats in my wife's new/used car if they don't fit in the trunk (it's a 2013 Camry).

How many are you getting? I would cover the seats with a blanket/tarp. Often times I see folks sitting the pails in a garbage bag before putting them in the car for protection.

Heather,

Other than the relief valve, those buckets are sealed, right? Just don't want to stain the seats in my wife's new/used car if they don't fit in the trunk (it's a 2013 Camry).

Another good idea is just place them all in garbage bags and make sure you strap them together with a ratchet strap - if you have one.

Dan - I just noticed that you just mentioned about the garbage bags !

Okay, then it's garbage bags and seat belting in the back seat. I only ordered one with a lug of grapes since I'm rather new at this, but maybe a second bucket would balance out the load. I'll just have to pick one my wife likes to help get the funds approved.

I've heard the whites can be weak some years. You don't usually let the skins on whites like you do with reds do you? So is an alternative to add different tannins throughout the process?

I am also getting my first buckets. Are the buckets sealed? Buckets in the back of a pickup has me a little concerned. Also I was wondering if we would be able to secure the hard cover over the top of the bed with them in it?

I am also getting my first buckets. Are the buckets sealed? Buckets in the back of a pickup has me a little concerned. Also I was wondering if we would be able to secure the hard cover over the top of the bed with them in it?

you should have no problem - yes they are sealed. Just make sure you strap them done so they dont roll around or tip over

Heather,

Yes, they have a seal. When you get them home, you will break the plastic ring around the lid to open. I haven't had any problems with the pails except that they are often a bit dirty on the outside. Probably worth laying a towel under and over to be on the safe side.
Heather

Agree with (Kraftty/Mike) on the extra buckets, I ferment in the buckets and usually empty about a 1/3 of the bucket into another. Put them on a tarp and let them go. I am thinking you are purchasing some Chilean Juice? Hope you are taking a highway!

Not sure whether you are picking them up from AL or from FL. I order fresh juice buckets through Pardo. Pardo is located in Tampa but the juice originates from Madiera California, then shipped to Tampa. You can schedule pickups in Jax or Tally. I've done both. I have ordered two buckets each in the fall of 13 and 14 and have been very pleased with them. They have a wide range of reds and whites and are reasonably priced (~$50-$65).

NS

They deliver in Lake City and I live 15 miles from there. Very convenient.

Because I cannot leave Alabama for an extended time, I was afraid I couldn't pick them up. Turns out they are making a delivery in Forest Park Georgia so I can pick them up there. Just a quick day trip.

I get juice buckets all the time. Although I only have a 3 hour drive it's never a problem. They fit under my soft bed cover (of my pickup) just fine. I also bought an adjustable bar that goes across the bed of the to keep the load from shifting.

Latest posts

Back