Getting a sample out of a 1 gallon jug

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered - I searched and didn't find an answer ...

I'm just starting with 1 gallon batches. I made a trip over the weekend to a town with a local supply shop. I bought 6 1 gallon jugs and other goodies.

I tried a wine thief in one of the jugs and it fit fine, so I added it the box of goodies.

When I got home, I tried the thief again and this time it didn't fit! I tried them all, it fits 2 out of 6.

So, what do you use with 1 gallon jugs to get samples without making a mess?

Hello and welcome to the forum Bob,

Get yourself a length of tubing from the hardware store.. 5mm bore will do the trick quite nicely for you.

Allie

Hello and welcome to the forum Bob,

Get yourself a length of tubing from the hardware store.. 5mm bore will do the trick quite nicely for you.

Allie

Way too easy to think of without being told :e

Thanks!

Sorry if this has been answered - I searched and didn't find an answer ...

I'm just starting with 1 gallon batches. I made a trip over the weekend to a town with a local supply shop. I bought 6 1 gallon jugs and other goodies.

I tried a wine thief in one of the jugs and it fit fine, so I added it the box of goodies.

When I got home, I tried the thief again and this time it didn't fit! I tried them all, it fits 2 out of 6.

So, what do you use with 1 gallon jugs to get samples without making a mess?
I use a turkey baster that is ONLY for that purpose! Cheap plastic one.

i use a syringe and plastic tubeing with an attachment for the syringe ask a doctor they may be able to get you one or just go with st allies idea its easier

There are different sized wine thief's. I have 3 that are all different. One is the wine thief/test Jar combo that you just dip in the carboy that has the little loaded trigger switch in the bottom that is the largest diameter. The next one I have looks about like a standard turkey baster. The next one I have is glass and much smaller in diameter. It would fit inside a wine bottle. With it you simple lower it in the wine. Put your finger over the top and lift it out. You then remove your finger to dispense the wine in your glass or test jar. You could easily do the same with a short piece of siphon/racking hose cut to a short length.

I use a turkey baster and a test jar / beaker. Both are for wine only. Sulfite them and you can pour the sample back into the jug.

All above will work but, if you have alot of different size openings I would say the best is to either use tubbing or a racking cane.
just my .02 worth.

I have another add on to this. I know it sounds stupid, but what does the membership feel is the best way to rack from gallon jugs to gallon jugs. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Not sure if I understand your question but, i use the cane and hose, put the full jug on the counter and the empty on a low stool. I recently got a cane clip to hold it in place and wonder how I ever did with out it! Rack slowly by controling the height difference between the two jugs. More difference the faster the wine will flow. Slow equals less sediment transfer.

heh you can get little plastic syringes from a pharmacist

tell em you need one for your kids medicine and you lost the one you had

I'll try the good old racking cane and tube. I got spoiled only ever using the auto syphon, and didn't realize they made a smaller one. Thanks for the help.

heh you can get little plastic syringes from a pharmacist

tell em you need one for your kids medicine and you lost the one you had

How big do they make syringes? I'm looking to fill a testing chimney for sg measurement. Seems like a syringe would make that an all day affair :)

I know they make at least a 60cc syringe which is pretty darn big. I see you live in Southern Missouri. You might look for an animal feed store for larger syringes. Many of them are actually owned by veterinarians. Don't worry if it isn't vet owned. Most will have them. I grew up in central Illinois and you couldn't throw a rock and not hit a feed store. I live in South Louisiana now where farming and livestock isn't anywhere near as prevalent and I have at least 5 feed stores and a Tractor Supply store (TSC) within a 10 mile radius. Look for a Rural King, TSC, Farm and Fleet to name a few I know they had up there.

Great idea. There's a feed store about 2 miles from here :) They have vet supplies too. I can't believe I didn't think of this.

Thanx

good idea smurfe
i just wasnt thinking that a feed store or pet/live stock related place
they definately would have decent sized ones

Latest posts

Back