Getting a sample out of a 1 gallon jug

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MadRiver, You sulfite the samples before you put it back in the fermentor? is this common? Wouldn't that mess with the fermentation process or are we talking about post fermentation?

MadRiver, You sulfite the samples before you put it back in the fermentor? is this common? Wouldn't that mess with the fermentation process or are we talking about post fermentation?
I use a spray bottle and spray the sample holder (beaker) and the baster. I let them sit for 10 min or so and drain the excess solution off then pull the sample. Since all the equpiment that touches the wine is sterile it can be poured back into the must. I ment to say sulfite the equpiment, by keeping everything sterile you dont have any waste:b

Beta, once a fermentation is in progress sulfites will do very little to stop it unless you really dump a ton in to the point where you wouldnt even taste wine.

Using a sulfite solution I spray the inside of the beaker then the inside and outside of the baster and stick it in the top of the beaker. After 5 or 10 min I dump out the excess and leave it as shown for another 15' or 20' with a tiny bit of solution left inside. The baster bulb acts like a stopper and seals the gas inside.
Beaker.jpg

Tube.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas. I'm using a baster until I find a piece of tubing to fit the syringe I found at the local feed & farm supply.

A whole dollar is what the syringe set me back. Another 20 cents for tubing and I'll be set.

Latest posts

Back