WineXpert Getting a full 6 gallons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Old Corker - No, I don't soak the chips first and I usually add 1/2C+ of extra oak to each batch of red. I have shredded bourbon barrels, shredded wine barrels, and straight shredded American Oak. Which one I use is dependant on the varietal I'm making. Because the bourbon barrels are toasted, I'll save them for heavier wines.

I'm just getting caught up with all these comments, but this is all great information and suggestions, thanks everyone!

when you create fermentation you create reduction ,part of the game. their verbiage isn't explaining it correctly.
I've never gotten 6 gallons of wine from 6 gallons of grape juice diluted or other wise.
usually depending on the sugar content and the abv, I'm trying to achieve its 25 bottles at the end it also depends on the quality of the base brix.

I mean according to the kit it states it produces 6 gallons of wine...but as mentioned, apparently that's 6 gallons starting volume. They don't clarify that in the instructions. 😄
Emphasis mine. Your statement is a fair statement in general, although the instructions vary by vendor.

Winexpert instructions specify the initial volume but never state the expectation after that. It does state that topping up is optional and should be done with compatible wine; water is not recommended. I would not expect a beginner to understand the nuances of this situation.

RJ Spagnols has online instructions that state to top up the carboy, if required. So the final result will be 30 bottles, but it's not explained that the kit itself will produce less and the beginner doesn't realize they need to have extra wine on hand until they reach that step.

The real problem is that for a beginner, winemaking is a mystery and I expect most are unsure if it will work, which produces nervousness. Unless the expected output is stated clearly on the box and/or at the beginning of the instructions, anything that is mentioned will probably be missed unless explained clearly.

OTOH, FWK instructions specify 28-30 bottles is the normal result in several places, including the Minimum Equipment Section at the beginning, and the Bottling section. Overall, I like the FWK instructions far better than any of the vendors I've tried.

Although if all kit instructions were better, we'd have a LOT less traffic in the beginner's forum! 🤣

What about food-approved double-wrapped cheesecloth, any concerns with that? I do that with my homemade chicken soup, I wrap the entire fryer in cheesecloth and boil the soup for hours, then just pull the chicken out when it's finished, skin and de-bone it, and throw it back into the soup.

Sure, that should work just fine.

If you top up with wine that wasn't included in the kit, you get 30 bottles. I don't, and rack down to a 5 G carboy for bulk aging. I am typically getting 27 bottles plus another bottle of wine to include in cooking extracted from the lees from second and subsequent rackings - for the reds that I do, the latter goes great in boeuf bourguignon.

Back