WineXpert General Question about the taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawnlee1

Junior
Reaction score
Santa got me a Wine Making Kit! I've since started my first batch of a Merlot. Just out of curiousity - how good does the Vintners Reserve kits taste? Will it taste "homemade" or "store bought"? Anyway - I'm enjoying watching the process so far. Edited by: dawnlee1

Welcome to making wine at home with a better than store bought taste! It certainly will not taste like the stuff Uncle Vidouse to make and was better suited to mix with oil for salad because it tasted like vinegar.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Everyone who has triedthe wines I have made with kits thinks it is better than what you can buy for a reasonable price. If you follow the instruction closely and remember that proper sanitation is best way to prevent problems you should be happy with the results.

Upgrading to a better quality kit will certainly make the end result much better...better ingredients produces better wine!

Welcome and have fun makingit. For the price, you can't get better wine.

I've not been at it that long, but it won't take long before people are asking for yours instead of what they buy in the typical store.

But hold out on your friends, get your bottles back before letting another out the door. That seems to be the most expensive in time or money, bottles.

I love that avatar masta... (Yes, I'm being a sexist pig, but that's what us guys do.)

Edited by: bdavidh

Dawnlee1,

Welcome to the Fine Vine Wines forum!

The previous posters are correct. The wine you make from a kit will be every bit as good as most $10-20 bottles of wine. The Vintne's Reserve, like you have will deliver a product at the lower end of the scale, while the Selection Series' will be more towards the higher end. It is because the Selection kits have more juice.

Besides sanitization, patience is the next key. Just follow the instructions and you will impressed with your wine. If you have any questions along the way, post them here or call me. Either way, you will getall the help you need.

Thanks for stopping by. We look forward to more of your posts.

Thanks for everyone's comments - I'm so excited. Just hope I cleaned all the equipment correctly - as that seems to be the common theme for the best results.

Any good tips on the easiest and best way to clean the bottles? I've been asking my freinds and family to save all their old bottles -so I have ones I bought as well as re-used bottles.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by: dawnlee1

dawnlee1,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Check out the newsletter that will be sent out tomorrow for an article I wrote on bottling your wine. It includes the techniques I use to clean and prepare my bottles.

Hope this helps answer some questions!

Edited by: masta

I'm posting this reply with a question. Egad, reminds me of school, but it has to do with taste. My wine kits,one is Cab. Sauv. one is Pinot Blanc and another is a Cab-Merlot blend and all have a sweetener packet.All kits say taste before adding. I've been smelling it and babying them along and I'm afraid I won't know if I should add these packets. Should I ask someone else? Do any of you guys add these packets? I'm a very new winekit makerand ina little over amonth I've got a third carboy full and I'm ready to start another. Please respond before I begin the fourth or need to bottle. Note: I'm leaving the red in the carboy for 3 months as suggested in another thread. Thanks, Olivia.

Be sure and degass before tasting. The CO2 will throw you off. The sweetening pack likely contains sorbate, juice, and sugar. Are you sure it is a sweetening pack in the cab-merlot? It is normally very dry wine. Edited by: Country Wine

You're right --I started another Cab. Sauv. (which has a sweetener packet) and not the Cab-Merlot box. Now I'll have to get started on another right away so I can have the Cab-Merlot in a little over a year. I like the idea of folks coming over and giving me advice about if too dry or not. Thanks for the degass suggestion too.

What I should have said actually is, follow the instructions that came with your kit, to the letter. If you do this, you will not go wrong.

Back