Gelatin filtering - a better f-pac?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaaaah, that is a good concept. I can see that but this stuff is very thin, no mouthfeel. So by adding this to the end product while you would be adding a fruit flavor you would be thinning out your wine. I know that would depend on how much you add. So why not just make an F-pack?

First, every f-pac I've made clouds my wine. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Second, the extract is really not thin. Maybe thinner than an f-pac, but not watery, not in the least. It is almost syrupy in consistency. What I did with the banana was to mix 3 parts extract with 1 part banana liqueur, so as not to dilute the ABV.

Third, this could be used like an f-pac, but as seth notes, it is also for adding flavors that are difficult to manage otherwise. Coconut was my inspiration, but I'm also thinking chocolate, nut flavors, stuff like that.

I'm not trying to win converts here, I'm just offering tools for the toolbox.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of this, just trying to look at all angles. And as far as this extract being thin, that was the comment that was made on that first link you posted. It was stated it was thin and no mouthfeel.

Im flowing this tread. very interested to here more about how this is working for everyone. Thanks for the links Stress

I'm following also. Please keep giving us updates as you go. This could something very big, or an educational process that doesn't work well in our hobby.

I hope it works and appreciate others sharing their findings.

stressbaby, mine was not watery either, and was more of a syrup.
which makes me think more fruit would give it a thicker syrup, which would increase flavor...i cant try till tuesday, company coming in for beach party.
also i trimmed up 3 briskets for monday bbq...i kept the trimmings and will cook down, and use the gelatin to extract a beef stock...

great thinking out of the box stressbaby....go girl go.

Love the thread and great information . I will be using this method to make an f-pack my strawberry wine.
Where can you purchase gelatin?
Or does stwarberry contain enough gelatin already ?

Last edited:
I didn't use sugar in my strawberry like James did. The yield on the strawberry was pretty low and I thought the flavor could have been a little better. The extract is crystal clear however. I will post pics when I get home.

Hey Stressbaby:

what do think about adding some Smucker's strawberry syrup, into the pot with the strawberry gelatin mix?

It appears nothing seems to bring out the color or taste of strawberry.

This should help do both.

you would have to do cook 25lbs down to about 2 cups...like this

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG6k50NmVUo[/ame]

you would have to do cook 25lbs down to about 2 cups...like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG6k50NmVUo
lol...no I ment buy some strawberry syrup to add not make it.
However I did view a you tube video, that would work on blackberries and strawberry fruit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPsPH1DowAs[/ame]
Don't forget we're only attempting to make an f-pack extract to add color or taste /flavor to from 1 to 5 gal of wine , not make enough gelatin extract to make wine with.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the strawberry syrup yet, but here are pics of the basic strawberry. In case you don't want to read further: nice clear extract, but the yield was low and the flavor a little light. I probably use this somehow, but I would try a different stock if you want strawberry with this technique.

Pic 1 the simmering stock
Pic 2 the strained stock prior to 7g gelatin
Pic 3 frozen stock in strainer
Pic 4 total yield

photo (3).JPG

image (5).jpeg

image (6).jpeg

photo (4).JPG

To illustrate a little better result, here is a pic of my namwah (banana) wine. The clear wine was stabilized, then I added 30ml banana liqueur and 90ml of the gelatin-filtered banana extract, just to keep the ABV about the same. Then a little more backsweetening with 50g sugar. You might say I cheated, but it is awesome, and it is crystal clear.
(Yes, I know it is not quite topped off but I just racked it and will be bottling today.)

photo (5).JPG

I'll add some sugar, syrup and the strawberries I have into the gelatin.
This way I'll be sure to get color and flavor. You have to remove some wine to backsweeten. I won't worry about diluting the wine. I start my SG's abit higher to begin with.

Update:
Chocolate extract trial #1 was utter failure. Used 2c water, 1c sugar, and 8T cocoa with 7g gelatin. The gelatin didn't trap anything, and I ended up with basically a cloudy chocolate syrup. I'm not even going to bother with the pictures.

Trial #2 underway using 85% Lindt, double the gelatin, and no sugar. The stock came out of freezer and went into the strainer today. This looks much more promising...the frozen extract is ice hard, unlike the first trial.

Getting the gelatin amount correct seems to be the tricky part of this. Too much and no extract is released, too little and everything comes through and you don't get a clear extract.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the chocolate. Next up, a tweak of the chocolate recipe to see if I can increase the yield. Came out pretty good though; not much but it is strong.

Latest posts

Back