Garlic scapes - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDaveK, Sorry but while I love garlic, I can't see me making a wine from scapes BUT one thing you can make is a scape pesto. My basic recipe for basil pesto is to simply substitute the basil with the scapes (as long as they are fresh and soft)
3 C scapes
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 C of lightly toasted walnuts
1/3 C of Parmesan cheese
1t salt
1/4 C olive oil.

I chop the garlic, the nuts, the cheese and salt in a food processor until finely chopped
I add the scapes and as they begin to chop I pour in the oil.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the recipe!
I've been growing garlic for 4 years and the scapes have never gone to waste. A tasty and underappreciated bonus.

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
BigDaveK, Sorry but while I love garlic, I can't see me making a wine from scapes BUT one thing you can make is a scape pesto.

Same here.

I make copious amounts of scape pesto each year. Extra is put into the pantry. I would not bother with wine making myself. Pesto is easy and preserves all of the scape, quantity and quality. Wine, not so much on all accounts. Seems rather an exercise of interest (can I do it?) rather than maximizing the food value. Which is okay. But that is just not me. And each to their own. After all, I make wine, rather than raisins of my clusters. So I understand the complete, full and twisted irony of my comments.... :cool:

Some of my garlic harvest:

DSC01094.JPG