Garlic scapes - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigDaveK, Sorry but while I love garlic, I can't see me making a wine from scapes BUT one thing you can make is a scape pesto. My basic recipe for basil pesto is to simply substitute the basil with the scapes (as long as they are fresh and soft)
3 C scapes
3 cloves of garlic
1/3 C of lightly toasted walnuts
1/3 C of Parmesan cheese
1t salt
1/4 C olive oil.

I chop the garlic, the nuts, the cheese and salt in a food processor until finely chopped
I add the scapes and as they begin to chop I pour in the oil.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the recipe!
I've been growing garlic for 4 years and the scapes have never gone to waste. A tasty and underappreciated bonus.

BigDaveK, Sorry but while I love garlic, I can't see me making a wine from scapes BUT one thing you can make is a scape pesto.

Same here.

I make copious amounts of scape pesto each year. Extra is put into the pantry. I would not bother with wine making myself. Pesto is easy and preserves all of the scape, quantity and quality. Wine, not so much on all accounts. Seems rather an exercise of interest (can I do it?) rather than maximizing the food value. Which is okay. But that is just not me. And each to their own. After all, I make wine, rather than raisins of my clusters. So I understand the complete, full and twisted irony of my comments.... :cool:

Some of my garlic harvest:

DSC01094.JPG

Really?
Did you braid before curing?
Mine will be going into storage later this week and at this point braiding seems impossible.
To braid cured garlic, you have to soak the stems to make them supple enough to braid. As @ChuckD said, there are many online resources.

You can also braid at harvest, to dry the garlic, which is what I do for a lot of my personal garlic I will not sell. But as the garlic braided at harvest dries the braids become loose. Which is fine if you do not resell your garlic. To get tight garlic braids for sale or gifts, you have to cure them straight then braid them after hydrating the stems.

However... Even the online resources do not always talk about timing. And with hard neck garlic I have found there is a "timing" factor when to braid. If I over cure the garlic, it is much harder to braid cured garlic. If I cured to fully dry hardneck garlic, then braiding may be not an option.

Traditional hard neck garlic growing, harvesting, drying and braiding:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
To braid cured garlic, you have to soak the stems to make them supple enough to braid. As @ChuckD said, there are many online resources.

Hope this helps.
I now understand!
I bought my original garlic years ago from Keene Garlic and their method of curing is to cut the stem leaving about 10inches, which is what I do, and then hang to cure. I may change that next year - love the braiding!

Time flies - it'll be time to plant garlic for next year soon.

Second racking.
Clearing very nicely. Finally adjusted the color balance on my phone for LED lights so the color is pretty accurate.
We all talk about how flavor changes with patience and time and this went from "the most vile, horrible, disgusting thing I ever tasted" to - swear to God - ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! I wish I could send a sample to everyone!
There is an unmistakable but very mild garlic aroma. It also has a slight spiciness which I really like. Most of the scapes I used were from "Asian Tempest" which is a hot and spicy garlic. And this will hit you hard because it ended up being 14.3% ABV and I don't taste alcohol. If the flavor holds I'll actually bottle bone dry.
Next year ALL my scapes are going for wine!
I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm going to call this a delicious garlic sipping wine.

garlic scape.jpg

Second racking.
Clearing very nicely. Finally adjusted the color balance on my phone for LED lights so the color is pretty accurate.
We all talk about how flavor changes with patience and time and this went from "the most vile, horrible, disgusting thing I ever tasted" to - swear to God - ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! I wish I could send a sample to everyone!
There is an unmistakable but very mild garlic aroma. It also has a slight spiciness which I really like. Most of the scapes I used were from "Asian Tempest" which is a hot and spicy garlic. And this will hit you hard because it ended up being 14.3% ABV and I don't taste alcohol. If the flavor holds I'll actually bottle bone dry.
Next year ALL my scapes are going for wine!
I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm going to call this a delicious garlic sipping wine.

View attachment 94846
nice color, clear, looks good,,,
it ought to keep the ticks and chiggers at bay as well,,,
Dawg

Garlic scape bottling day!

Hint of garlic aroma and smell. Slight fruitiness, mildly tart, alcohol not noticeable, and absolutely delicious bone dry.
I back sweetened a sample: Fruitiness increased a little, but the sweetness didn't mask or intensify the garlic properties. While it made it more drinkable the garlic notes were a bit off-putting for a sipping wine. Bottled it bone dry. I think it will be great with a meal. In fact after drinking a bit I started to think about fettuccine Alfredo.

I christened it "Scapezzano".

garlic scape.jpg

Garlic scape bottling day!

Hint of garlic aroma and smell. Slight fruitiness, mildly tart, alcohol not noticeable, and absolutely delicious bone dry.
I back sweetened a sample: Fruitiness increased a little, but the sweetness didn't mask or intensify the garlic properties. While it made it more drinkable the garlic notes were a bit off-putting for a sipping wine. Bottled it bone dry. I think it will be great with a meal. In fact after drinking a bit I started to think about fettuccine Alfredo.

I christened it "Scapezzano".

View attachment 99044
Do you remember how much scapes you used?

Do you remember how much scapes you used?
Remember? Heck no - one reason why I write down EVERYTHING.
I used 8 ozs of garlic scapes. I'll make it again this year and, like I said, it's drinkable with a meal. I'm concerned that more scapes would nudge it into undrinkable/cooking wine territory. I'll tweak it this year but I haven't developed a plan just yet.

I don't know if you've read all the posts in this thread but it really REALLY smelled and tasted awful going into secondary. So glad I didn't dump it! Lesson learned.

Remember? Heck no - one reason why I write down EVERYTHING.
I used 8 ozs of garlic scapes. I'll make it again this year and, like I said, it's drinkable with a meal. I'm concerned that more scapes would nudge it into undrinkable/cooking wine territory. I'll tweak it this year but I haven't developed a plan just yet.

I don't know if you've read all the posts in this thread but it really REALLY smelled and tasted awful going into secondary. So glad I didn't dump it! Lesson learned.
Yes, I’ve read through the thread. I’ve been tempted to try a chive blossom wine

Yes, I’ve read through the thread. I’ve been tempted to try a chive blossom wine
That's a really interesting idea! I like it!
I pull millions of wild chives from the gardens each year. If I let them flower I'd be faced with trillions. I also have a small patch of cultivated chives. I'll have to taste both flowers this year.
I like the way you think!

Latest posts

Back