Gardening in Alaska.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne

Fiesty Winer
Reaction score
I'm a really keen gardener and I sort of imagined I would have to give it up when I move to Alaska. Then I found this! http://community.adn.com/node/106615
Unbelievable! They even have gardening contests and communities of dedicated gardeners there. I am overjoyed! I can even, with extra care, grow grape vines there. I just need to find the right grape now. Any ideas?:a1

Leanne, now your talking my kind of language. I love veg. gardening. Have pretty good success here in Anchorage with Just about everything. I even grow sweet corn in my green house. Saw a recipe on Jack Keller for corn squeezins, may try that this year. Good luck with your garden

Leanne, now your talking my kind of language. I love veg. gardening. Have pretty good success here in Anchorage with Just about everything. I even grow sweet corn in my green house. Saw a recipe on Jack Keller for corn squeezins, may try that this year. Good luck with your garden

Thank you Stan. I'll be picking your brain when I get started I expect. I can't imagine not having a fruit and veg garden. How would I make my wine????:D

Welcome Stan, good to see another Alaskan in here, haven't seen you before! In case you're wondering why an English woman is interested in gardening in Alaska, it is because I am going to marry her, she will be coming to Alaska in a couple more months.

I haven't told her yet fruit doesn't grow here. Don't want to scare her off right away, couple things about the far north I am saving as a surprise!! LOL

Troy

Last edited:
Welcome Stan, good to see another Alaskan in here, haven't seen you before! In case you're wondering why an English woman is interested in gardening in Alaska, it is because she is my fiance and will be coming to Alaska in a couple more months. I haven't told her yet fruit doesn't grow here. Don't want to scare her off right away, couple things about the far north I am saving as a surprise!! LOL

Troy

Well, that secret is very secret honey. LOL.
I'll pretend to be surprised. Honest!

Hmmm, you'd probably even drink it. LOL.
I think we can do better honey.

SHHH Stan! I didn't tell her about the -50F yet either. I told her the winters were "mild" LOL

In the words of Nicolette Larson, "Gonna take a lotta love"!! LOL

lol, thats funny Troy.

good luck to you guys. I wish you the best.

Fairbanks does have beautiful summers. alot nicer than here in Anch. IMO

lol, thats funny Troy.

good luck to you guys. I wish you the best.

Fairbanks does have beautiful summers. alot nicer than here in Anch. IMO

I'm just hoping they won't be hot! I don't do hot.

Latest posts

Back