Garden planning Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neither of my batches were single varietal. One was from 4 different kinds from my garden and the other was from a whole bunch of different kinds I was allowed to pick from a farmer just before a late freeze in October last year - no idea what kinds.

I need to do a taste test between my batches to see if there is much of a difference.

I had read where making good apple wine calls for using a variety of apples. I wonder if the same holds true for tomato wine?
My apple wine was 100% Granny Smith juice only because Mother Nature thought a late frost would be funny. I'm very happy with it, still tasted like apple going into the bottle, but I'd love to try a variety.

On the other hand, my tomato wine had 6 different tomatoes and shocked me with it's flavor. Incredible! Depending on yield, I'd like to try some small 1 tomato batches as a test - but I'll still do a big mixed batch.

My apple wine was 100% Granny Smith juice only because Mother Nature thought a late frost would be funny. I'm very happy with it, still tasted like apple going into the bottle, but I'd love to try a variety.

On the other hand, my tomato wine had 6 different tomatoes and shocked me with it's flavor. Incredible! Depending on yield, I'd like to try some small 1 tomato batches as a test - but I'll still do a big mixed batch.
Sounds like you'll have some good options for experimentation! šŸ‘

How ripe were the tomatoes you used? I tried one batch with very ripe tomoatoes, but it ended up tasting like rotten tomatoes. So is it better to use slightly under-ripe tomatoes? I even saw one recipe for green tomato wine.

How ripe were the tomatoes you used? I tried one batch with very ripe tomoatoes, but it ended up tasting like rotten tomatoes. So is it better to use slightly under-ripe tomatoes? I even saw one recipe for green tomato wine.
Eating ripe I'd say.
Freeze until you have enough. And the freezing really breaks them down - very soupy when thawed.
Most recipes I saw called for 3 #'s tomatoes. (Seems like most country wine recipes call for 3 #'s of whatever.) I used about 5 #'s.
I've seen green tomato wine recipes. I think that's more of an end-of-year-use-up-the-tomatoes recipe.

The term I use for black current is ā€œmuskyā€. It is a fairly dominant flavor in a mix. I am tempted to say it is an acquired taste since the wife wonā€™t drink black current.
Black carrots would likely make a nice color. Apparently they donā€™t taste like carrots. Might be like the difference between carrots and parsnips. Can anyone describe the taste or compare it to something?

The term I use for black current is ā€œmuskyā€. It is a fairly dominant flavor in a mix. I am tempted to say it is an acquired taste since the wife wonā€™t drink black current.
Is that currant or carrot? Iā€™ve had current and it was good.

There are black currants and "black Zante or Corinth currants". The Zante or Corinth currants are really dried grapes. I discovered that the black currants I bought in Tesco were Corinth currants or the grapes. Anyway, I would say the wine made from real currants is very different than wine made with Zante or Corinth currants. I use the Zante/Corinth in many wines and made a dry cranberry/Zante currant wine that is a very nice, dry rose.

@VinesnBines is correct. I just searched this topic and here is a link I found: Zante Currant Vs. Blackcurrant: Whatā€™s The Difference? - Smallkitchenguide

I've only been able to find Black Zante Currants in the stores (and they taste to me like tiny raisins) The article states:
"Zante currants are gotten from black corinth grapes which are dried to produce raisins, blackcurrant berries are obtained fresh from the shrubs of ribes nigrum." They are supposedly related to gooseberries, with smooth skins, high in vitamin C, and mainly grown overseas. I'm thinking that @Rice_Guy is talking about real black currants and not the Zante currants I've been using.

A few years ago I began starting plants indoors. Each year I added more grow lights and more seeds. This is the second year where ALL my vegetables and new flowers are from seed. Went to a big box store today - $4.99 a pot for vegetables!!!! Burpee plants. Seriously!!?? Who the heck can have a decent sized garden at those prices?

Haven't been to a nursery yet - which is where I bought my live plants in the past. They're usually more reasonable but now I'm really curious.

A few years ago I began starting plants indoors. Each year I added more grow lights and more seeds. This is the second year where ALL my vegetables and new flowers are from seed. Went to a big box store today - $4.99 a pot for vegetables!!!! Burpee plants. Seriously!!?? Who the heck can have a decent sized garden at those prices?

Well, it depends. You have to factor in many issues. Such as, having space to grow plants indoors (not everyone does, and space includes property taxes on house size). Grow lights cost money to buy and run (electricity is not free, and may become more expensive over time). So also an expense to factor in (but the purchase cost can be amortized).

So in the end, one must do the math. Even if a plant for food production purchased at a nursery costs more than you can self produce, the ultimate question is not its costs, but if the produced produce from either is less than than the cost of buying directly. If both are less costly, then you saved money. Then the only issue is the amount of money saved, not "if" you saved money. If not, then better to simply maybe grow a rock garden (that way ones saves money in water bills)..... ;)

Well, it depends. You have to factor in many issues. Such as, having space to grow plants indoors (not everyone does, and space includes property taxes on house size). Grow lights cost money to buy and run (electricity is not free, and may become more expensive over time). So also an expense to factor in (but the purchase cost can be amortized).

So in the end, one must do the math. Even if a plant for food production purchased at a nursery costs more than you can self produce, the ultimate question is not its costs, but if the produced produce from either is less than than the cost of buying directly. If both are less costly, then you saved money. Then the only issue is the amount of money saved, not "if" you saved money. If not, then better to simply maybe grow a rock garden (that way ones saves money in water bills)..... ;)
You make a number of good points. To me the ultimate goal is flavor. I don't care for most grocery store produce - especially those that don't store well and are harvested before ripeness for logistic reasons. Farmer's markets are an excellent alternative and supplement what I don't grow.
I have about $150 in LED grow lights, seeds are saved and purchased, pots saved and re-used, space minimal, and I admit I don't think about electricity. I also grow varieties that aren't generally available. I'm certain I save money - and I'm having fun!

20220505_130546.jpg

You could also take that to the point of why are you paying for a yard and taxes on it when you could live in a smaller place and not have a yard.

The space for starting plants is only temporary so it can be crowded for a month or two. No big deal. Depends if you enjoy it.

Home grown is almost always better tasting. Sure itā€™s work. But I could do many things that are debatably more of a waste of time and resources.

Latest posts

Back