Garden 2015

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, Dan your yard is stunning. I could only wish ours looked like that.

FYI Jack - I have lots of dandelions in my yard - easy access for making mead!

Since we just moved, I missed my window for this year. But the new owner of our old house is inheriting some 'second' heirloom tomato plants. These were the ones dropped by squirrels and/or deer that were left on the ground and the seeds have brought new life to the garden with no help from me. I was tempted to dig them up and bring them with us to the new place. :D

Here is my spot for this year. We have:

King of the North Pepper
Jalapeño
Ring-o-Fire Cayenne
Feher Ozon Pepper
Hot Purira Pepper
Snap pea
Carrot
Pickling cucumber
Cherokee Purple Tomato
Sweet Thai Basil
Genovese Basil
Thyme
Spinach
Blend leaf lettuce

We have a 20x20 spot at the community garden

ImageUploadedByWine Making1432557319.997998.jpg

My little helper. As you can see, empty Chilean juice buckets come in handy in the garden too!
ImageUploadedByWine Making1432557340.832545.jpg

garden 15

So Ca here:
I look at some of your pictures of your green trees, rolling hills and what appears to be forest land and all I can say is "wow" and "sigh!"

Corinth

Wow, What I would give to be able to have a garden like that!!!!

Here is my pathetic (by comparison) deck garden. Herbs are coming along nicely and the 1 tomato and 4 cucumbers are also coming along..

IMG_20150607_150905_811.jpg

Wow, great pics everybody! The master gardeners club here in Lost Almost will host their annual Garden Tour this weekend. 2 of the 8 houses on the tour are on my street only 2 houses down from us. I will snap some pics and post what can be done garden wise down here in the desert southwest.

Well here is my meager little garden. We have 3 pepper plants, 3 tomato plants, beans, peas, lettuce, zuchinni and cucumbers. I also started 2 potato buckets as an experiment. In pots on the patio are our herbs. Sorry for the sideways pics.

20150603_194428[1].jpg

20150606_074502[1].jpg

20150606_074151[1].jpg

You all are so much further ahead than me! A lot of mine hasn't come up yet that I planted from seed. I'll try and get some pics this evening to post.

All your gardens look lovely! I'm currently working on my strawberry patch getting an order of rhubarb and asparagus coming in soon so I've been working my A off trying to get strawberries in so my rows aren't as straight as yours! But trying to do it in an orderly fashion! Will post some pics up when it looks good enough to do so lol

ImageUploadedByWine Making1434034822.815338.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1434034903.086851.jpg here is my spinach patch and my main garden. I have about 40 pepper plants, 60 tomato, 2 rows of raspberries, 5 golden raspberry plants, 8 blueberry plants, corn, beets, carrots and squash.ImageUploadedByWine Making1434036656.276857.jpg

Last edited:
Gee I don't know how I missed this thread!!!! I use to have a garden and did a lot of canning. Well I found out that I can buy from the local farmers for about the same price it cost me to put in all these veggies! So I planted grape vines, :h This will be year five of the vineyard and my niagara has a handful of grapes but my catawba and fredonia are not doing that well, this past winter took it's toll on these two.

Anyway, I miss having a garden so I did a raised garden and have just a few veggies and I have two potato barrels I am trying out this year. Been wanting to that for a long time.http://www.winemakingtalk.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Potatos.JPG

PotatoBarrel.JPG

Julie I agree about buying it from farmers when you have them near by. Corn is the last thing I would plant only because it is so cheap to buy along side the road and usually better quality. I still enjoy planting a few tomatoes, peppers and potatoes though. The Catawba and Fredonia also took a bad hit up here. Let the suckers come up then keep the best one or two and retrain them, if you lost the entire vine.

I agree with Dan that it is just as cheap or sometimes maybe cheaper to buy from local farmer but I believe the satisfaction and sense of pride you get with every bucket you bring into the house out weighs all costs. And you know exactly what went into your food.

I also do not do corn. My in-laws do 5 acres so It is cheap and takes all kinds of room. It also attracts raccoons.

Jeremy

Yes, corn would take up more room than I have! And we don't have any "farmers" here. But I do take a trip to SD in late summer to get my corn! I was late with a lot, but my potatoes, onions and sugar snap peas are going great....although I've had trouble with aphids...:ft. on my potato plants. When I went out this morning I did not see any new ones, but I'll be spraying with the Neem oil again today. Every year I try and buy a new seed or two, this year I got "Olive-Leaved Sylvetta" a type of Arugula lettuce from Johnny's Seeds. Much to my surprise it tastes like black licorice or anise!!! And I am one of the few that likes black licorice. MMMM wonder if I grew enough of it, could I make it into wine???

Update - july 20th

How about some new pics of our gardens? I think it would be nice to see how everybody is doing...

Here are my planters. I already have cucumbers, tomatoes, and a TON of basil.....

IMG_20150718_062013_598.jpg

IMG_20150718_061923_610.jpg

Latest posts

Back