Gallon markings on various sizes of carboys?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of their carboys with gallon markings that you've marked on the sides? Thought this would be helpful if someone's already done this.

KCCam

Always Thirsty
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Every one is different. I mark my primaries, in litres, by pouring in a kg at a time, and marking it with a Sharpie, to make it easier to guestimate how much to make so there is plenty for topping up, etc. A kg isn't EXACTLY 1 L, but it's sure close enough for me. I mark each carboy with total volume.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mark carboys, as I use them only for aging, and they only have 2 settings: Empty and Full. 😋

Like @KCCam, when I get a new primary (in the 7-10 gallon range), I fill it with a 1 quart measure, marking the outside with a Sharpie at each gallon.

For making kits, it makes more sense to mark the fermenter in liters, although with my wide mouthed fermenter, the markings would be close enough together that I'd mark every 2 liters instead of 1. However, 19 and 23 would be marked.

For grapes and juice, I use larger containers, e.g., 32 gallon brutes for grapes. Mine are grey (couldn't find white locally) and are not translucent, so marking them doesn't work. However, for grapes and juice I know the amount before I start as I'm not diluting anything, so markings don't matter.

EDIT: fixed clarity.

Last edited:

Latest posts