Other FWK Riesling Pre-Ferment High SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I have just started a FWK Tavola Riesling, and it sits in pre-ferment and the Specific Gravity at the 6 Gal mark was sitting at 1.114 (yes, mixed well. very well). I thought that was too high and added a bit more water to @6.1 gal and the Specific Gravity now sits at 1.110. When I do a preliminary ABV that turns out to be 14.9%ABV. That seems too high for a Riesling. My calc: 1.110-.996 (estimated final) x 131 At FWK's calculation I should be sitting around 11-13.6% - with a starting SG of 1.080 or 1.100

Now this is measured after the carbon was added, and before the nutrient was added.

Am I okay to proceed and enjoy the extra alcohol (will the wine be balanced?)? Should I add some more water to bring it down to 1.100?

Don't make any additions until tomorrow. In recent months I've discovered that every batch I made (kit and concentrate) had a different SG the following day, differing by up to 4 points.

Stir your must again tomorrow and check SG again. If it's still high, then consider action.

I agree your SG is really high, but waiting until tomorrow may prevent you from making a mistake.

Don't make any additions until tomorrow. In recent months I've discovered that every batch I made (kit and concentrate) had a different SG the following day, differing by up to 4 points.

Stir your must again tomorrow and check SG again. If it's still high, then consider action.

I agree your SG is really high, but waiting until tomorrow may prevent you from making a mistake.
Bryan, what would cause a fluctuation?

Good morning, everyone. As an update to my high SG reading, after around 18 hours later and another good stir this morning, my reading remains the same 1.110. The only thing that I noticed with the Riesling concentrate that looked odd, was the thick consistency of the 'juice'. Thicker than any I've seen when emptying, and the must was not frozen.

I'll check again at lunch time. I'm hesitant to add more water (6.1 gal at present) due to FWK balancing, but on the other hand, it may be out of balance already? - And as @She’sgonnakillme suggested, maybe it doesn't really matter.

Lastly, with FWK add-in 'packet X' it really makes this white wine, dark before clearing.

Attachments

• IMG_3725.jpg
    IMG_3725.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 13
Good morning, everyone. As an update to my high SG reading, after around 18 hours later and another good stir this morning, my reading remains the same 1.110. The only thing that I noticed with the Riesling concentrate that looked odd, was the thick consistency of the 'juice'. Thicker than any I've seen when emptying, and the must was not frozen.
Call FWK. Their number is in your paperwork.

Paperwork? This is the second time LP has given me a kit without the instructions, I downloaded the instructions from LP's site and am working from that <rant over>. Thanks, @winemaker81 , I will do that. Thanks for the tip.

Paperwork? This is the second time LP has given me a kit without the instructions, I downloaded the instructions from LP's site and am working from that <rant over>. Thanks, @winemaker81 , I will do that. Thanks for the tip.
I meant your receipt -- my emails have the number.

Update: Matt Pruszynski (LabelPeelers) and I traded emails on this subject and he answered that the Rieslings specific gravity is currently being measured between 1.08 and 1.100 and he recommends that I continue on and pitch the yeast. Upon 'topping up' in post fermentation, I should add distilled water to fill the headspace instead of wine in clearing or aging. The root cause of the increased sugar could be from an overfilled juice bag.

With that said, and with my aversion to adding water post-fermentation unless absolutely necessary, I think I'll add a little water now to bring the SG to 1.105 (still just a tad high) and then pitch the yeast. I'm not one to question my mentors on here (so I'm doing a little of both), but I feel more comfortable with a final estimated ABV around 13.6% if it dries out to .996 or, if the yeasts really devour the sugar lower than .996 the abv can boost to over 14% by my calculations. After fermentation, I'll give a sample taste like @Ohio Bob suggests and do a final gravity test to find my abv and then add some water if necessary.

Kudo's to Matt for reaching out to me on this issue, I liked the customer response here. And to @winemaker81 for the 'kick' to reach out to LP and/or FWK.

Latest posts

Back