Other FWK Primary Fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The FWK instructions call for putting the primary under airlock after all the packets are added. and racking after 14 days. I'm used to the old way of loosely covering the primary with a towel, loose lid, etc. and not putting it under airlock until after that first racking at about day 14. What do you do?

The FWK instructions call for putting the primary under airlock after all the packets are added. and racking after 14 days. I'm used to the old way of loosely covering the primary with a towel, loose lid, etc. and not putting it under airlock until after that first racking at about day 14. What do you do?
The "cover loosely" is necessary for reproduction until the fermentation is 1/2 to 2/3 done. After that, sealing it supposedly makes no difference, although the FWK method ensures that fermentation is fully complete and provides for EM with skin pack kits.

I split the difference between @She’sgonnakillme and Craig -- I seal the fermenter around 1.010. Next Forte kit I'm going to unseal the fermenter at day 21, not 14.

This is a complete change for me, who had "get the wine off the gross lees ASAP" drilled into me. However, practical experience from others indicates the process works, so I'm going with it.

Last edited:
And for a bit different protocol...as a relatively new home vintner (since Oct2020) -- I've followed my mentor's lead and have put an airlock on my 30L Speidel immediately after pitching the yeast. (and so far with 19x 6gal batches under my belt -- only 2x FWKs & have yet to have any issues).

I hit each batch with nutrients 48hrs in -- and let the fermentation go 2weeks regardless of whether it finishes prior (and Most do).

Gotta love this hobby!

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
I've followed my mentor's lead and have put an airlock on my 30L Speidel immediately after pitching the yeast. (and so far with 19x 6gal batches under my belt, have yet to have any issues).
It may be the FWK yeast starter protocol reduces the need for O2. While I recommend an open container, if it's working for you? 👍

I think for my next batch, I'm going to follow the same process that I use for brewing beer, just with a slightly higher goal for dissolved oxygen. Using pure oxygen, I'll oxygenate the must until achieving 15 ppm, then immediately add the airlock, only opening it to add the second dose of yeast nutrient when the SG hits 1.06. I can't see any disadvantage of doing this and it reduces the risk of leaving the fermenter open for whatever kind of things my kids are tempter to throw in it.

Latest posts

Back