Finer Wine Kit FWK Petite Sarah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I received my Petite Sirah kits this morning.
I was getting the juice ready and had a question. Do I need to go through the grape skins and pull about the twigs and leaves? I see quite a bit in them. I’m trying to pull out what I see but sure I missed some.

Last edited:
everything in the provided skins bag(s) goes in my vinos without any removals :)

Cheers and Good Luck!

After letting the juice sit for 20 hours I measured everything again. Both buckets came out the same and numbers look pretty good.
SG = 1.100
PH= 3.38
TA = 6.75 - 7.5 g/L

The yeast that came with the kits was Bourgovin RC212. Never used that one but I should be pitching it later the afternoon.

Last edited:
I pitched yeast yesterday and it is off and fermenting. Would this petite Sirah forte also benefit from an extended maceration?

Well that was quick, pitched yeast 8/4/2022 1300 hrs and 8/7/2022 1830 hrs the SG was down to 1.010.
Fastened the lids and air locked the buckets.
Nice burping in the airlock. I’ll let it sit for an EM for 4 weeks now.

Well that was quick, pitched yeast 8/4/2022 1300 hrs and 8/7/2022 1830 hrs the SG was down to 1.010.
Fastened the lids and air locked the buckets.
Nice burping in the airlock. I’ll let it sit for an EM for 4 weeks now.

Don't be afraid to let it sit 6-8 weeks, it will just be that much better faster 👍

Just racked my petite sirah from EM after 6 weeks. Initial tastes seen quite lovely.

This was the first time I’ve seen a noticeable change in ph after fermentation with one of my wines i fermented.

Bucket A starting PH 3.38 Ending PH 3.59 Ta 6.75 g/L
Bucket B starting PH 3.38 Ending PH 3.64. Ta 7.2 g/L

Are the final ph numbers fine?

Just wondering if it is normal to go from 3.38 to 3.64 after fermentation? This is just the first one that I’ve every seen change that much.

Latest posts

Back