Other FWK Must Process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesWine

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the process is that FWK uses to produce the grape juice they sell? I know they don't pasteurize as it needs to be kept cold but what else goes in to the process to create the finished product? Are there other chemicals that get added or is it truly just crushed grapes that are with some sulfite to prevent fermentation?

I don't know the details of their process, but I believe I remember @Matteo_Lahm mentioning that they do not add sulfites. They aren't needed due to the high sugar content of the finished product preventing fermentation all on it's own. That's why they have you add the packs of chemicals at the start of the process when you rehydrate the must.

It would be kinda cool to see some videos of the behind the scenes processes FWK uses :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm not trying to get any proprietary information on their process, if there is some, I just want to know what I'm drinking and what's in it. Our FDA allows a lot of garbage to be used in the process of making wine, and also what's allowed to be sprayed on grapes. I know FWK can't necessarily control what's done as the grapes are grown unless they source from organic/natural vineyards, but the process they use to produce the grape juice for the kits is in their control. I'm hoping it really is pure like if I sourced the grapes myself.

Hi all. The concentrate is made with a flash evaporation process. Essentially, removes the water. Technically it is a form pasteurization but different from conventional and it’s a lot less destructive. We need to keep them cold because they remain perishable as they are not cooked to be shelf stable at room temperature like other kits. As for the sulfites, it’s about 50 ppm.

I assume the evaporation process is done in some degree of vacuum to effectively boil off water at a low temperature. What is the highest temperature the must is heated in your evaporation process? Appreciate the support you provide to your product.

FWK maceration question. What is the longest period of time for skin juice contact for the FWK reds? Is there a point where you can over do it? While I’m at it how about the shortest amount of time while still gaining the benefits.

Last edited:
FWK maceration question. What is the longest period of time for skin juice contact for the FWK reds? Is there a point where you can over due it? While I’m at it how about the shortest amount of time while still gaining the benefits.
IMO the 14 day fermentation period is a good choice. Under most circumstances, this guarantees fermentation is ended, you've got a bit of EM (probably a week), and the gross lees has dropped.

I've been reading about EM, and in Burgundy up to 90 days happens. However -- the longer the EM, the more tannin is extracted. If you want a long aging wine, the EM may do what you want.

OTOH, flavor and aromatics are extracted prior to the end of fermentation, so FWK's protocol may be what you want.

Latest posts

Back