Other FWK Frutta Blackberry and Strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will definitely make them again. The FWKs are my "kit of choice" moving forward. If I cannot figure out how to reduce the Frutta tartness, they will be for me, and I'll make boosted Island Mist kits for the family so they can get their sweet fix. I'm also experimenting with making wine from fresh juice buckets, which I'm processing similarly to kits (based on good advice from this forum). So far, so good...

Another think to watch out for is when I first stirred it, it overflowed. I have a nice blue pattern on my concrete floor now!
Stirring in the carboy is risky. If/when I make a Frutta again, at the racking after clearing I'll add packet D and both conditioners, transfer back to the carboy, top up with red wine, then bulk age 3+ months. At bottling time, if it needs more sugar, I'll add it after racking.

Last edited:
The threads in the Kit Making Forums on the FWK have been interesting reading for someone like me. I've learned so much in the past few months and finally joined WMT five weeks ago. Winemaker81 will probably claim me on his taxes this year for answering all my needy questions.
I will definitely make them again. The FWKs are my "kit of choice" moving forward. If I cannot figure out how to reduce the Frutta tartness, they will be for me, and I'll make boosted Island Mist kits for the family so they can get their sweet fix.

Dan, we are in about the same situation. I might make the Island Mist raspberry kit, boost it with sugar for 11% abv, and maybe add some raspberry extract for extra flavor until FWK comes out with a raspberry. Based on what I've learned though, I'll not make the Island Mist in 5-6 weeks but take 3-4 months. My last two showed signs of sediment in the bottle after 8-10 weeks.

My blackberry FWK is 24 hr old and smells awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_0643.jpeg
    IMG_0643.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Dan, we are in about the same situation. I might make the Island Mist raspberry kit, boost it with sugar for 11% abv, and maybe add some raspberry extract for extra flavor until FWK comes out with a raspberry. Based on what I've learned though, I'll not make the Island Mist in 5-6 weeks but take 3-4 months. My last two showed signs of sediment in the bottle after 8-10 weeks.
I'm not a big raspberry guy, but I made the Island Mist Raspberry Mojito kit and my wife loves it. I was originally following the Label Peelers boosting instructions, but now I just add a 4lb bag of sugar in the beginning and it seems to mostly taste the same (much cheaper). I haven't had issues with sediment, but I tend to lose some wine in the first rack and sometimes second rack to help this. I did have sediment in one batch of white wine when I skipped the Bentonite. Your plan to age longer and maybe add an extra rack sounds good to me. I may do the same for future batches.

If I cannot figure out how to reduce the Frutta tartness, they will be for me, and I'll make boosted Island Mist kits for the family so they can get their sweet fix.
Add both conditioner packs to the Frutta, stir REALLY well. Then stir again (seriously). Taste it, and if it's too tart for your liking, add table sugar and stir like you did before.

I've proven to my own satisfaction that things don't mix as well as we believe they do, so stirring more and giving the wine time to meld makes sense.

Regarding adding sugar, I'm a dry wine guy, so I add in small increments, as low is 1/4 cup sugar in 23 liters. For folks who like sweeter, you can use larger increments, just keep in mind that taking sugar out is far more difficult than adding more.

I haven't had issues with sediment, but I tend to lose some wine in the first rack and sometimes second rack to help this.
You're going to lose volume with every racking. This is normal. I wrote the following post which describes my tactics for reducing wine loss.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/reducing-wine-loss/

Hi Bryan. I enjoy dry red wine, black coffee, unsweetened iced tea, sour hard candy and hot chicken wings. My wife enjoys things that taste sweet and mild. She thinks food with black pepper is spicy. I like the tartness of my strawberry wine, but I am trying to reduce the tartness of the blueberry for her. So far, I've seen that a lot of sugar sweetness does not make the tartness go away. I have stirred several times and have delayed bottling to see if things blend better.

I've also read your whitepaper and use your techniques. I do tend to leave behind more wine in early racking because I know I can recover it by "Clearing the Remainder". Family used to ask me "What is that in the back of the fridge?", but now they know better. Anyway, that may be why I haven't seen many sediment issues.

Can I top off my FWK blackberry when its in the carboy for clearing with a Island Mist blackberry I already made or ...... ?
Sure. You can top it with anything you want! :p

Seriously, the list of wine types that are reasonably compatible with a wine like the Frutta is legion. Even a white will work. I used a dry second run wine to top mine.

If it was a white or light, the choices are fewer, but still you can use a lot of wines. The stronger tasting the base wine, the less the topup wine will affect it.

Big day .... FWK blackberry is done fermenting so I racked it into glass today. Degassed, added D packet, and clearing agents so we wait .... wait a couple of weeks to clear. Gotta say, I've never made a true fruit wine like this and its so darn cool!

Big day for the FWK blackberry as its been well over 14 days for clearing. Racked into a clean carboy and added both conditioners plus about 1/4 of a third conditioner as we are sweet wine drinkers. I actually thought we would use more conditioner / sweetener but my wife liked it where it was so twala. We are now ready for bulk aging. We each got a small taste and this wine is different that anything I've ever made before.

So ... in 4-6 moths it will be ready to bottle but for now I gave my carboy a hug and wrapped a blanket around it. Yep, tucked away for the winter!

FWK needs to make a raspberry!

Big day for the FWK blackberry as its been well over 14 days for clearing. Racked into a clean carboy and added both conditioners plus about 1/4 of a third conditioner as we are sweet wine drinkers. I actually thought we would use more conditioner / sweetener but my wife liked it where it was so twala. We are now ready for bulk aging. We each got a small taste and this wine is different that anything I've ever made before.

So ... in 4-6 moths it will be ready to bottle but for now I gave my carboy a hug and wrapped a blanket around it. Yep, tucked away for the winter!

FWK needs to make a raspberry!
How'd your blackberry turn out?

Cheers!

How'd your blackberry turn out?

Cheers!

The back story to this whole FWK blackberry wine is, I had only made the Island Mist blackberry which is a thin structure grape wine with blackberry flavor pack. The FWK has more body, structure is different and sorta thicker or more like real blackberries. I was accustomed to the Island Mist "fake stuff" and the FWK was just different but different in a good way. Ended up with 29 bottles of the FWK blackberry but made another Island Mist because we (wife & I) were so unsure of the FWK .... are we going to like it? The answer is YES! The FWK blackberry is so delicious and much better than the Island Mist. FWK makes me feel more of a vintner with the frozen blackberry juice bag versus the Island Mist grape juice bag /w blackberry flavor pack.

I started the FWK blackberry in 11-2022 and we opened a bottle on Sunday with family. I'm gonna polish off the rest tonight and its hard to believe its been a year. Not sure when, but soon, I'll make another FWK blackberry because its now a proven winner with the wife & family.

The back story to this whole FWK blackberry wine is, I had only made the Island Mist blackberry which is a thin structure grape wine with blackberry flavor pack. The FWK has more body, structure is different and sorta thicker or more like real blackberries. I was accustomed to the Island Mist "fake stuff" and the FWK was just different but different in a good way. Ended up with 29 bottles of the FWK blackberry but made another Island Mist because we (wife & I) were so unsure of the FWK .... are we going to like it? The answer is YES! The FWK blackberry is so delicious and much better than the Island Mist. FWK makes me feel more of a vintner with the frozen blackberry juice bag versus the Island Mist grape juice bag /w blackberry flavor pack.

I started the FWK blackberry in 11-2022 and we opened a bottle on Sunday with family. I'm gonna polish off the rest tonight and its hard to believe its been a year. Not sure when, but soon, I'll make another FWK blackberry because its now a proven winner with the wife & family.
Thanks for feedback....Sounds great! I made the Island Mist BB as a holidays gift vino for 2022 and it was a big hit. :)

Now...looking forward to cranking out the FWK BB!!!

Cheers!

What ABV did the FWK Blackberry yield? Did ya need to chaptalize it?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back