Finer Wine Kit FWK and hot weather

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billdean

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 finer wine kits that I would like to start but am unsure if I should start them now or wait until cooler weather. My wine room, such as it may be, is not temperature regulated. The temperature can very 6 or 8 degrees in the summer month. Lately with this hot weather we are having (85 to 90*) it is between 72 and 80 in the room. I really don't know the effect it would have on my wine. I have a FWK Chardonnay and a Baby Super Tuscan Tavola Kit. Would it be alright to start one of these kits now or should I wait until cool weather in the fall?

A lot of folks ferment in that temperature range, so for them it's situation normal. I assume you don't have a temporary location that's cooler?
I do not have any place that is cooler in the summer. No basement for me.

Which would be the better kit to start in those temperature. I would think it would be the Baby Super Tuscan Tavola Kit but do not really know.

Making the red is a better choice.

Another thought is to put the fermenter in a larger container (if you have one) and use a water bath to keep the temperature lower. Admittedly, this is difficult to maintain.

I'd make the red now since it is a bit more amenable to higher ferm temps.
When I need to remove energy (i.e. heat) from a fermenting must I wrap the vessel as tight as I can with a cotton towel (have also used a pillow case) and using a spray bottle I wet the cloth with water and turn on a fan to circulate air. As long as I have good contact of the wet cloth on the wall of the fermenter practically all of the energy needed to evaporate that water (which is actually a LOT of energy) is pulled out of the must thereby cooling it.
It can be so fast I worry about shocking the yeast on occasion, of course I'm a bit of a worrier and while it cools fast I don't think it's fast enough to derail an active fermentation. But my concern is enough for me to stop this cooling once the must approaches 1.025-30, at the end I want to keep it warmish

I cleaned everything up a few hours ago. I just went back and checked it again. This fermentation has lost control! Help!
Do you have another fermenter? If so, sanitize it and a small container (2 quart sauce pan will work), and dipper some of the wine into the second container.

Making a 6 gal batch in a 6 gal container is problematic as you are finding out. You should follow Bryan's advice.
I always stay at or below below about 70% fermenter volume to allow for that foam, I'd hate to see it when you stir it!

Yes, I have 3 fermenting buckets. Two 6 gallon ones and a 7.9 gallon. @winemaker81 Thanks. I take it I can combine them back at some point.
Yup, ferment them down, then blend.

Normally a 7.9 US gallon fermenter will easily contain a 23 liter / 6 US gallon kit. But yeast will do its own thing, and you're are just overly enthusiastic.

Latest posts

Back