Other FW Bordeaux - the journey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Curious about those that have done/are doing the FW Bordeaux... (and rather than add to page60+ of the FW Topic...I'm starting this Thread) :)

I just tossed mine into 20L Speidel for bulk aging, on the provided American oak med toast cubes. OG=1.106 FG=.998

I plan to bulk age for 6-12months and then bottle age min 2months before popping My first cork :)

Bulk aging for how long? ...and where are you in the process currently?

How have your samplings changed over time?

Once bottled, how much aging time before popping the first cork?

Any Thoughts/feedback insights on this Bordeaux?

Cheers!

I have the Bordeaux nearly ready to bottle. I started it in June and fileted it this weekend, I'll get around to bottling sometime soon. So I agreed about 6 months, it has really changed since the last sample my wife and I had 2 months ago. More nose, more body and longer lasting. It will be in the bottle probably 3-6 months before it enters the drinking rotation. I am fairly pleased with this one.

Mine is just coming out of primary. So, I have some distance to travel yet. Trying to decide if I want to go through MLF, or leave it where it is. Looks and smells great right now. Will definitely bulk age for 9-12 months adjusting oak level as I go. Looking forward to updates on you guys progress and perhaps I can benefit from your experiences with this particular varietal.

Is this a Tavola or Forte kit? If Tavola, skin packs or not? I just bottled a Barbera, no skin packs, bulk aged on 1 oz medium toast Hungarian cubes for 4 months, total 5 months from start to bottle. It was ready, as I made it as a quicker drinker.

My advice doesn't depend on which kit, it's what's in the wine.

If yours is a Forte, I'd bulk age 9-12 months, and not touch for at least 3 months in the bottle. In general it's best to not touch a wine for a month or 3 after bottling, as bottle shock may mess it up for a while.

I'm bulk aging my Fortes for a year, and don't expect them to be really drinkable for another year.

Is this a Tavola or Forte kit? If Tavola, skin packs or not? I just bottled a Barbera, no skin packs, bulk aged on 1 oz medium toast Hungarian cubes for 4 months, total 5 months from start to bottle. It was ready, as I made it as a quicker drinker.

If yours is a Forte, I'd bulk age 9-12 months, and not touch for at least 3 months in the bottle. In general it's best to not touch a wine for a month or 3 after bottling, as bottle shock may mess it up for a while.

I'm bulk aging my Fortes for a year, and don't expect them to be really drinkable for another year.
Forte - double skins, seed pak, French med toast chips in primary & RC212.....all the provided "goodies" 😎

Cheers!

Forte - double skins, seed pak, French med toast chips in primary & RC212.....all the provided "goodies" 😎
Go for longer than shorter. That's a heavy duty wine.

I go a bit lighter on aging oak but don't bother to remove it. The amount provided in the kit should be fine to leave in for the duration of bulk aging.

Mine is just coming out of primary. So, I have some distance to travel yet. Trying to decide if I want to go through MLF, or leave it where it is. Looks and smells great right now. Will definitely bulk age for 9-12 months adjusting oak level as I go. Looking forward to updates on you guys progress and perhaps I can benefit from your experiences with this particular varietal.
I just racked mine off MLF after completinon. I would say that you should skip the MLF. My numbers are fairly skewed. It tastes ok but a little flabby.

....................... pre MLF .......... post MLF

PH ... .............. 3.88 ......... 4.12-4.23
TA .... .............. 6.0 ...... ..... 5.4-5.7
SG 1.098 ........ 0.995 ......... 0.994

I'm don't think I would do MLF again. At this point I put it on oak and will recheck flavor and numbers. I will decide then if I want to readjust the acid and get PH down below 4.

Last edited:
I just racked mine off MLF after completinon. I would say that you should skip the MLF. My numbers are fairly skewed. It tastes ok but a little flabby.

pre MLF post MLF

PH 3.88 4.12-4.23
TA 6.0 5.4-5.7
SG 1.098 0.995 0.994

I'm don't think I would do MLF again. At this point I put it on oak and will recheck flavor and numbers. I will decide then if I want to readjust the acid and get PH down below 4.
Well, there we go! It seems we have an answer to our MLF / FWK questions. Thanks to TCPT18!!!

I will decide then if I want to readjust the acid and get PH down below 4.
If you decide to adjust acid, calculate how much you need to reach your target, then use 1/4 of that amount. Mix it in well and let it rest for a month. Taste and let your taste buds decide if it needs more.

IME, acid added post-fermentation does not integrate quickly, so give it time to normalize. You may need less than you expect to reach a good tasting point.

If you decide to adjust acid, calculate how much you need to reach your target, then use 1/4 of that amount. Mix it in well and let it rest for a month. Taste and let your taste buds decide if it needs more.

IME, acid added post-fermentation does not integrate quickly, so give it time to normalize. You may need less than you expect to reach a good tasting point.
thanks for the input Bryan. i have done post ferment acid adjustments before and half required amount was too much. Acid fixes has to be one of my least favorit adjustments

Would you be open to sharing where you purchase your Hungarian cubes from?

A web search will turn up a lot of sources for oak adjuncts. I usually purchase locally, but if shopping online, I comparison shop for price, including S&H. Shipping is usually the deal breaker for a lot of things.

Anyone popping the corks on their Bordeaux yet? Curiously anxious 😋😎

My wife, bonus son, daughter-in-law and I went through 3 bottles on Sunday night. They were very, very impressed by it. This is the bonus son who married into a commercial wine-making family from Mendocino County, California. We also sampled the Super Tuscan I made at the same time. These wines are from the very first batch of FW kits sold, so they are about a year or so old. I don't have my notes in front of me to verify that time frame. They were both what are now called Tavola made with 2 grape packs. I do need to go down and check on the current ones I have bulk-aging. Might be time to do something with them.

Back