Funny Floaters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystcarrie

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to wine making and have a question. This is my first wine kit and it's a Strawberry Zinfandel.
I've racked it to the carboy last Wednesday and by Thursday morning a foam appeared floating on the wine. By Friday it has grown into a pink mousse floating in chucks on the surface. similar to the appearance of the sediment, however, it's more foamy looking and the size of quarters. Now, Sunday, it looks as though more is forming on the surface. Wine smells fine and does not appear to be mold.

Does anyone know what this is?

It sounds like fermentation continuing. Please tell us...

exact brand & style - eg Niagara Mist Strawberry White Zinfandel

starting specific gravity & temperature

specific gravity at transfer to carboy

current sg & temperature

have you done anything to the wine? like adding the meta bisulphite, sorbate, flavour pack, clearing agents

Steve

Hi Steve, Thanks so much for the reply.

The type of kit I used was a Orchard Breezin Mist Wine- Strawberry White Zinfandel.

Starting SG 1.056 and temp. 70f-75f over the instructed 14 day period.

SG at transfer to carboy was .996 ( there appeared to be no activity in bucket)

Currant SG is around .996 and temp. is 65f. I'm on day 6 of the remaining 14.

I've added all the packages as per the directions (meta bisulphite, sorbate, flavour pack, clearing agents) and degassed, when instructed, till my arms were sore. I took a lot of care in following the instructions as this was my first time.

I should add that there is quite a large space between the wine and the airlock ( about 6") as I was not aware of 'topping it off' until reading this forum.

Carrie :confused:

Back