Funky addition to winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Inspector Gadget! I guess typical for January with nothing pressing with the wine now. But man, u had to have been bored.
Go go gadget outlet!

I’ve got retractable 4-way extension chord mounted to the ceiling in my shop. They’re pretty common.

IMG_1515302711.426598.jpg

I don’t have an outlet, where I need it the most; at my work bench. I made this scissor drop down outlet from scratch, the design was mostly to entertain myself. I’m looking for a coiled power cord to manage the looks a little better.

Wow, that looks great!

For the cord: Rather than coil it, I have seen them zig-zagging along the legs of the scissors jack. You could zip-tie them in place, for example.

I like your steampunkish ceiling light pulley system. Can we see some more photos of those? :)

Here ya go. Lights were $10 Craigslist items, pullies are $1 ebay items, some ornamental steel balls, I used spark plug boots to cover where I rewired the light from the local wrecking yard. The lights raise and lower independently everything else made from leftover stuff in the garage. IMG_1377.jpg

Looks great. I would find a way to secure the wires to avoid any possibility that they could get trapped in the scissor and short out.

You previously posted pics of your cold room. Why in the world didn't you show off your pull down lights? That's the coolest.

I started with the cold box, then the bench, then lights and now the outlet box. It is still a work in process as I figure out a better way to manage the cord.

I started with the cold box, then the bench, then lights and now the outlet box. It is still a work in process as I figure out a better way to manage the cord.

I'm tellin' ya, zig-zag it like this: :)

1232720025000_275699.jpg

I’m a bit surprised by the interest, so I’ll post some details. I tried to do some cable routing with these tabs I made.IMG_1386.jpg
The slides, bearings, and holders are all eBay items. In total, something like $12 worth of parts, delivered. How they can sell a $1.25 part and ship it for free, half way around the world, is beyond me.
IMG_1385.jpg
The housing for the plugs was dressed up in the motif of the scissors and a handle added in the same style as the light counter weights.
IMG_1387.jpg

Scissors and loose wires make me nervous. I would secure it as Paul suggests as that should preclude any possibility of the wire getting caught in the scissor mechanism. I am more attuned to hazards as we recently had a lab destroyed by fire here due to a faulty electrical appliance.

Latest posts

Back