Fungus, Disease or Deficiency???

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by Heather_0651, Jun 13, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jun 13, 2019 #1

Heather_0651

Heather_0651

Heather_0651

Junior

I’m not quite sure what’s going on? We try to be more natural and not use chemicals so we have not sprayed anything but lavender, tea tree and lemongrass for bugs twice this year. I noticed in my garden my green bean leaves are doing the same thing. It only seems to be on a few leaves out of 200 grapevines. So not all of the plants are doing this. We are in North Texas with lots of rain this year. Zone 8. I’ve tried contacting A&M plant pathology no answer and I’m waiting on a phone call from the Tarleton Horticulture Dept too.

upload_2019-6-12_21-4-56.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-12_21-5-10.jpeg

upload_2019-6-12_21-6-24.jpeg

upload_2019-6-12_21-7-2.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-12_21-10-28.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Jun 13, 2019 #2

srcorndog

srcorndog

srcorndog

srcorndog WMT Supporter

You will have to spray chemicals because you have then classic diseases of grapes.
    1. Phomopsis early infection can lead to fruit rot
    2. Anthracnose lesions tend to congregate around main veins unlike phomopsis
    3. Black Rot small black (pycnidia) are fruiting bodies that release spores.
    Good luck trying to organic garden grapes
    To confirm send a leaf sample to your county extension agent

3. Jun 13, 2019 #3

GreginND

GreginND

GreginND

Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes, fungus, fungus, fungus. At this point it is probably too late. Spraying should be started well before any signs of fungal problems show up. But, you can try to keep it in check with some spraying now in hopes that it won't be as bad next year.

4. Jun 13, 2019 #4

TikiWine

TikiWine

TikiWine

Any thoughts on what this might be. I have narrowed it down to a few possibilities. Also what's the best course of action. These are muscadines

Attached Files:

Dan Tortorici likes this.
  5. Jun 14, 2019 #5

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Masbustelo

Most of us can't identify these diseases very well, because we use various sprays and have never had these problems.

6. Jun 14, 2019 #6

BigH

BigH

BigH

Your last pic looks like downy mildew to me. The second pic in your original post looks like the onset of black rot. Disclaimer, I have no particular skill when it comes to disease identification. If I am right, then your grapes will likely turn to fuzzy black mummies on vines that exhibited black rot.

H

Masbustelo likes this.
  7. Jun 14, 2019 #7

TikiWine

TikiWine

TikiWine

Thanks big H I am going to try a wide spectrum fungicide. Or since the cluster haven't formed yet is it too late? These aren't my vines just started looking after them didn't know what to expect.

8. Jun 14, 2019 #8

BigH

BigH

BigH

It is worth a shot. I have read posts in the past that would say it is too late to start spraying for black rot once you see it on the leaves. I don't have enough experience to say either way. I don't think the news is quite as gloomy for downy mildew. I would spray if I were in your shoes. If nothing else, you can prevent it from showing up on healthy vines.

H

9. Jun 14, 2019 #9

BigH

BigH

BigH

Unfortunately, the Fungi kingdom rules the "all natural" world. Think about it, every insect that can be a pest has some predator that is on your side. Weeds can be eaten by goats or out-competed by other plants . But the Fungi sit pretty much at the top of the food chain. Organic grapes are tough to pull off in most of the country.

H