fungicide spray schedule

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I keep to a spray schedule when it rains everyday? I last sprayed 15 days ago and now it looks like hot rainy weather for the next several days. My plants are just entering post bloom and are currently pretty disease free. do I just spray when its not raining and hope the spray dries?

general rule is that one inch of rain is required to wash off any spray. So pan accordingly. unfortunately black rot does not expose itself in some case until clusters form so just because it look disease free may not be. if rain is that continuous I would switch to a 7 day spray schedule.

Salcoco you were right I have a lot of black rot/cane rot on the canes now. I was away for two weeks at the beginning of Sept and came back to a lot of damage, the fruit was good however. Hopefully most will be pruned off anyway this winter. I'm definitely going to have all my fungicides stocked up for the spring and keep up the program.

I'll say it again if you are east of the Rockies....MANZATE & SULFUR, MANZATE & SULFUR and more MANZATE & SULFUR until you are withing 66 days of Harvest....if its raining a lot every 7 days, if normal rainfall every 10 days, if very dry a 14 day interval. After the 66 day phi switch every 10 days or so a tank mix to control BR and DM. You may at this point only need 1 or 2 more BR sprays then focus solely on DM control with a spray in there for Botrytis around bunch closure and start of veraison....most fungicides have failed for DM control so my recommendation is a lovely tank mix of copper, hydrated lime, and captan every 10 days in July and maybe every 14 days in August if the weather behaves otherwise stay at 10 day interval...

More white hybrids tolerate sulfur than red hybrids, but do check first.

thanks everyone, last year I did use sulfur and the Marquette grapes were unfazed by it. Sprayed a combo of fungicides last week including sulfur, last spray of the year I hope. Already have 2 inches of rain today and more coming. Will use it next year. Definitely going to rake all the leaves out of the vineyard and stay on a good schedule. it was so bad this year a friend who planted 7 acres of grapes 4 years ago only harvested 1000 lbs this year due to the wet weather and deer pressure.

Nothing is ever perfect. My vines have not had measurable rain since August 27. Great for harvest but hard on young vines.

Back