Fungicide Application Rate With Stihl Fogger/Blower

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackl

Junior
Reaction score
I’ve been asked to help a friend apply Fungicide, in this case PrIstine to a small 2 acre vineyard using a Stihl SR450 backpack fogger/sprayer. I’ve always sprayed my vineyard with a diaphragm pump sprayer in liquid form whereby the rate was specified in oz of fungicide/gal water which is easy.

In this case, Pristine is to be applied at a rate of 8-12.5 oz per acre, but there is no stated dilution rate. I’ve done extensive reading on the Fungicide and the sprayer manual and have calculated the vine surface area to be covered in acres based on the # of rows, row length and vine height. I also have a table that indicates the spray rate for each meter knob position In gallons/hour.

I figrued if I estimate my walking speed and using the above information, I can calculate how much liquid the mister/blower can apply to an acre over a specific time. So if it takes 40 gallons to cover an acre of surface, my mixing rate would be 8 oz in 40 gallons of water.

I could also calibrate the sprayer by filling it with water and calculate my walking speed and determine the amount of liquid used to spray a certain area.

However, something just does not seem right! Is there a better way to determine fungicide to water ratio?

With my 3pt hitch 55 gallon sprayer, I practiced with a tank of water to see how much I could cover. I figured it would take two tanks for an acre. Then I divided the amount of recommended fungicide in half and added that amount to each tank.

I’ve been asked to help a friend apply Fungicide, in this case PrIstine to a small 2 acre vineyard using a Stihl SR450 backpack fogger/sprayer. I’ve always sprayed my vineyard with a diaphragm pump sprayer in liquid form whereby the rate was specified in oz of fungicide/gal water which is easy.

In this case, Pristine is to be applied at a rate of 8-12.5 oz per acre, but there is no stated dilution rate. I’ve done extensive reading on the Fungicide and the sprayer manual and have calculated the vine surface area to be covered in acres based on the # of rows, row length and vine height. I also have a table that indicates the spray rate for each meter knob position In gallons/hour.

I figrued if I estimate my walking speed and using the above information, I can calculate how much liquid the mister/blower can apply to an acre over a specific time. So if it takes 40 gallons to cover an acre of surface, my mixing rate would be 8 oz in 40 gallons of water.

I could also calibrate the sprayer by filling it with water and calculate my walking speed and determine the amount of liquid used to spray a certain area.

However, something just does not seem right! Is there a better way to determine fungicide to water ratio?
I use the same sprayer shilh 450 on my vines. I use the 1.8 setting , walk briskly and ue 3.75 gal. For 88 vines. This works well for me. Hope this helps.

Back