fungi spray

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you didn't get a good mix. FTS has Captan in it and it has to be thoroughly mixed to stay in solution. Did you shake the bottle well before pouring out the proper amount? I keep plastic gallon jugs for mixing purposes. I first shake up the container, measure out how much needed, then put it in a empty plastic gallon jug. Then I fill it with water, put the cap on and the shake the H out of it again. The I dump that into the sprayer tank and shake that up. That will help it stay in solution somewhat better. If the sprayer sits for a while, you can get particulate settling near the pick up point in the tank and then a concentration on the foliage when you start spraying. If I use a 2 gallon sprayer, then I shake it regularly. On my bigger sprayer that fits on a 3 point hitch, I leave the arms loose so that there is side to side motion so that I can swing it side to side shaking up the whole tank. The bottom line is, shake everything up to make sure you have homogeneous solutions.

Yea, I thought I had it mixed up pretty good. Although during spray, maybe I could've done more.
I'll try that next time...
thanks for the response!
Btw, do they recover well from mild leaf burn?

Yea, I thought I had it mixed up pretty good. Although during spray, maybe I could've done more.
I'll try that next time...
thanks for the response!
Btw, do they recover well from mild leaf burn?

If they are healthy, yes. If you lost too much leaf, then I'd pinch off inflorescence I see and let the vine recover this season. It's a judgement call. How old are the vines.

Yea, most are 4 years old but some I've just planted a month ago. They are doing extremely well it seemed until I sprayed that FTS. They all still seem ok - just a few leaves hear and there suffered some damage. I think all of the phomopsis is gone though... and that's a good thing.!
So, I keep checking them... my next spray I'm getting ready to change to another... maybe immunox or something I just read about called Luna Experience. It seems very effective on phomopsis. Immunox has limited effectiveness though.
As of now, I see no symptoms of black rot or mildew but I guess the pretreating is best.

I use FTS early in the season along with Mancozeb. Captan is a good choice for Phomopsis. I have been including Serenade (a biological fungicide) to judge it results over time. It seems to be more of a systemic fungicide with giving an edge toward prevention. But, the jury is still out for me on Serenade. Sovran is something else to consider that covers several issues. I keep several products on hand and adjust my mix according to what I see and what I journaled from the year before. I like Mancozeb, but you have to quit using it 66 days prior to harvest, but I do use it again after harvest.

Latest posts

Back