fungi spray

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by berrycrush, May 8, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Jun 5, 2019 #21

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

Sounds like you didn't get a good mix. FTS has Captan in it and it has to be thoroughly mixed to stay in solution. Did you shake the bottle well before pouring out the proper amount? I keep plastic gallon jugs for mixing purposes. I first shake up the container, measure out how much needed, then put it in a empty plastic gallon jug. Then I fill it with water, put the cap on and the shake the H out of it again. The I dump that into the sprayer tank and shake that up. That will help it stay in solution somewhat better. If the sprayer sits for a while, you can get particulate settling near the pick up point in the tank and then a concentration on the foliage when you start spraying. If I use a 2 gallon sprayer, then I shake it regularly. On my bigger sprayer that fits on a 3 point hitch, I leave the arms loose so that there is side to side motion so that I can swing it side to side shaking up the whole tank. The bottom line is, shake everything up to make sure you have homogeneous solutions.

Rice_Guy likes this.
  2. Jun 5, 2019 #22

jandrew156

jandrew156

jandrew156

Junior

Yea, I thought I had it mixed up pretty good. Although during spray, maybe I could've done more.
    I'll try that next time...
    thanks for the response!
    Btw, do they recover well from mild leaf burn?

3. Jun 5, 2019 #23

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

If they are healthy, yes. If you lost too much leaf, then I'd pinch off inflorescence I see and let the vine recover this season. It's a judgement call. How old are the vines.

4. Jun 6, 2019 #24

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

The down side to Mancozeb is that it has a 66 day PHI. And it doesn't seem as effective on Phomopsis as Captan.

5. Jun 7, 2019 #25

jandrew156

jandrew156

jandrew156

Junior

Yea, most are 4 years old but some I've just planted a month ago. They are doing extremely well it seemed until I sprayed that FTS. They all still seem ok - just a few leaves hear and there suffered some damage. I think all of the phomopsis is gone though... and that's a good thing.!
    So, I keep checking them... my next spray I'm getting ready to change to another... maybe immunox or something I just read about called Luna Experience. It seems very effective on phomopsis. Immunox has limited effectiveness though.
    As of now, I see no symptoms of black rot or mildew but I guess the pretreating is best.

6. Jun 7, 2019 #26

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

Dennis Griffith

I use FTS early in the season along with Mancozeb. Captan is a good choice for Phomopsis. I have been including Serenade (a biological fungicide) to judge it results over time. It seems to be more of a systemic fungicide with giving an edge toward prevention. But, the jury is still out for me on Serenade. Sovran is something else to consider that covers several issues. I keep several products on hand and adjust my mix according to what I see and what I journaled from the year before. I like Mancozeb, but you have to quit using it 66 days prior to harvest, but I do use it again after harvest.