Fun Dumpster Find Unique Wine Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Ok so It's not a big deal but... today as I checked out our local recycling center glass bins I ran across a beautiful bottle (x 10) Even though it had a clear label on the back, I had to collect these. Only disappointment is that there were only 10 of them. My standard batch size is 3 gallons or 15 bottles but these will just get paired up with something a little less attractive
As the photo shows tall long slender neck and ... GLASS "Cork".
Oh and the bottom is in the texture of a rose as if it was cast into the outside of the bottom.
Here's the basic image of the bottle: WineBottleRose.jpg

They are all cleaned up except that I left the foil rose stickers on the neck of the bottle. Now I just have to figure out how to make that seal work again on the glass cork. It has a plastic seal material around it so if anyone has any ideas...???

I believe you can purchase these corks might have to search Google for them. I would bet that a standard cork #8 or 9 would also work.

Actually ALL the bottles still had the original glass corks and the seals look like they are in good shape. My only concern is that I dont want any popping out once I fill the bottles. I'm thinking about bottling when the wine is 'warmish' 75-80 (common temp inthe house where I work with the wine this time of year. That way it's unlikely that a temp change could cause a problem.
When I uncorked the bottles at least one has some pressure behind it and the cork still required some effort to remove so that suggest a good seal is still possible. Of course a shrink cap can help but not completely stop a rogue cork seal

The wine is normally stored (aged) in a room with temps that vary from 55 in winter to about 74 at the peak of summer. Not great of course but I'm not able to invest that sort of money to cool that basement down during summer and the temp changes are gradual over weeks.

I have a nice red raspberry wine that is about ready for bottling and as long as it's stored in a room away from sunlight the clear bottle shouldn't pose an issue.

I have a half dozen or so of these. Purchased from Costco a few years back. I used them for a Rose' I made back in 2016. I kept the glass corks and just corked them with my regular cork. It was a tight fit but was easily inserted with a floor corker. I would imagine you could reuse the glass cork if you found some tape to hold it in place or a (clear) shrink wrap of sorts.

IMG_1275.JPG

Ok so It's not a big deal but... today as I checked out our local recycling center glass bins I ran across a beautiful bottle (x 10) Even though it had a clear label on the back, I had to collect these. Only disappointment is that there were only 10 of them. My standard batch size is 3 gallons or 15 bottles but these will just get paired up with something a little less attractive
As the photo shows tall long slender neck and ... GLASS "Cork".
Oh and the bottom is in the texture of a rose as if it was cast into the outside of the bottom.
Here's the basic image of the bottle: View attachment 56113

They are all cleaned up except that I left the foil rose stickers on the neck of the bottle. Now I just have to figure out how to make that seal work again on the glass cork. It has a plastic seal material around it so if anyone has any ideas...???
The glass corks are VinoSeal. Here's a link to the web site. Apparently they are good for over 10 years. https://vinoseal.us/product/

GREAT !!! Depending on the cost - that might just be the way to go for batches I keep in house. Re-usable 'cork.'

Anyone have any experience + / - ?

I just looked at that site and I suspect they won't want to deal with hobby wine makers but... I've been honest with a sample request. We'll see...
I'll pass along results if I get a response.

Scooter, if that is painted on writing on the lower part of the bottle, I have had good luck soaking it in vinegar for 15 min. or so and just wiping off. Arne.

Scooter, if that is painted on writing on the lower part of the bottle, I have had good luck soaking it in vinegar for 15 min. or so and just wiping off. Arne.

Thanks ! All labels are off now except for the rose metallic one the neck. The Glass corks also have a "label" on them but I believe it's a painted or etched/painted thing.

Also received a response from the maker of the Glass corks. Given their re-usability (per makers advertisement) even if they run $1.00 - $1.50 each they might be worth the investment for home bottling/consumption. (I found a package of 6 listed on Ebay. but their price is a bit steep at $14.99 even with free shipping)
Again, once I investigate further I will post results back here unless the info warrants a separate thread entry.

Latest posts

Back