Fruit wine with no flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caselesss

Junior
Reaction score
Total newb question.....I made some fruit wine (cherry) and everything seemed to be working perfectly. Good fermentation, good alcohol content, good clear color. I'm guessing I didn't use enough fruit so I want to try again. My question is can I salvage this wine somehow? Or pitch it and start a new batch?

Oops, I am following up. When I wrote my first note, I did not see the title of your post. So you have a cherry wine that does not seem to have much cherry flavor? Do I have that correct?

Oops, I am following up. When I wrote my first note, I did not see the title of your post. So you have a cherry wine that does not seem to have much cherry flavor? Do I have that correct?
Yes next to no flavor. The recipe I used called for 2 lbs of fruit for about 1 1/2 gallons of water. Every other recipe ive found says 4-6 lbs of fruit per gallon, that's whats leading me to believe I needed to use more fruit

Sounds like not enough fruit and too much water. Is the wine completely dry? I've found on fruit wines that even the slightest touch of sugar can bring out the flavor.

Sounds like not enough fruit and too much water. Is the wine completely dry? I've found on fruit wines that even the slightest touch of sugar can bring out the flavor.
Its very dry. I added a little simple syrup and was going to let it sit for a few days and try it again. I'm just afraid its a lost cause but I hate to pitch it after all this work and time. But my first attempt I expected to be a learning experience but I wondered if anybody had another idea of what might salvage the batch or if I just need to pitch it

I would look for a product as “Stanton Orchards Tart Cherry Concentrate” 16 Fl.Oz. Makes one gallon at the local grocery store.
A second place that sells larger volumes of concentrate is”Home Winery Supply” of Dundee Mi
homewinery.com and yep i agree with Rice_Guy, also you can get flavoring to make up your flavor at olivenation.com ,, and yes my strongest flavor fruits and berries i use about 6 lbs per gallon, and lightest flavored like the banana i just got another year and half i used 12 lb ripened to black then froze, apple is another light flavor, the more fruit the more taste and color
Dawg

Last edited:
I would look for a product as “Stanton Orchards Tart Cherry Concentrate” 16 Fl.Oz. Makes one gallon at the local grocery store.
A second place that sells larger volumes of concentrate is”Home Winery Supply” of Dundee Mi
I will give that a try! Thanks for the tip!

homewinery.com and yep i agree with Rice_Guy, also you can get flavoring to make up your flavor at olivenation.com ,, and yes my strongest flavor fruits and berries i use about 6 gallon per gallon, and lightest flavored like the banana i just got another year and half i used 12 lb ripened to black then froze, apple is another light flavor, the more fruit the more taste and color
Dawg
Thanks for the help! My next batch I'll definitely try more fruit.

Maybe try a tsp of lemon juice to 3-4 oz of wine and maybe a tsp of sugar. That would basically make it a pseudo Dragon Blood. It wouldn’t be country wine, but a lot of us like Dragon Blood. Without a concentrate it would still likely be light on flavour but might make a great cold drink on a hot day. I just made a batch of DB with 1.5 lb/gal tart cherries and 0.5 lb/gal blueberries. I like it.

In my experience, fruit wines always need backsweetening or there is little to no fruit flavors regardless of how much fruit you use.

My best fruit wines are backsweetening using real juice. A little acid can also being out fruit flavors.

You must add potassium sorbate before backsweetening or the wine will referment.

I would recommend you research backsweetening fruit wines.

Thanks for all the help! I think it might be saved! I added the potassium sorbate and simple syrup and 2 bottles of the cherry juice concentrate and its definitely better. Still have room to improve but for my first attempt I'm happy with it. Thanks again for all the help!

Total newb question.....I made some fruit wine (cherry) and everything seemed to be working perfectly. Good fermentation, good alcohol content, good clear color. I'm guessing I didn't use enough fruit so I want to try again. My question is can I salvage this wine somehow? Or pitch it and start a new batch?
I really love Labelpeelers fruit base concentrates for $14.81. I have bought most of their flavors and have been very much impressed. I definitely would NOT pitch what you have done thus far..............................Dizzy

I really love Labelpeelers fruit base concentrates for $14.81. I have bought most of their flavors and have been very much impressed. I definitely would NOT pitch what you have done thus far..............................Dizzy

Hey - what brand from Labelpeelers do you recommend? I need to add some raspberry flavor to my wine in the secondary.

Thanks for the help! My next batch I'll definitely try more fruit.
check out www.homewinery.com each concentrate is good for about 4 gal, if you call they sell pints 2 pints plus the 1/2 gal concentrate to make a 6,, i buy 3 concentrates , add 12 gal water the the 3 concentrates which gives you 13.5 gallon ,, after topping off at every racking you'll end up with 12 finished gallon of wine, that is very robust,
Dawg

Last edited:
check out www.homewinery.com each concentrate is good for about 4 gal, if you call they sell pints 2 pints to make a 6,, i buy 3 concentrates , add 12 gal water the the 3 concentrates which gives you 13.5 gallon ,, after topping off at every rackng you'll end up with 12 finished gallon of wine, that is very robust,
Dawg
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back