Fruit Wine Rackinf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FechterNector

Junior
Reaction score
I think I've made a horrible mistake. I made a few batches of fruit wine from strawberries and raspberries this year. They went into secondary around 1.010 on October 5th. Things got busy and went on vacation. I made sure to top off airlocks however I went to rack this morning (11-10) and every batch has almost a rotting smell. Not sulfer but does not smell good. They have about 1-3 inches of lees on the bottom (peach has way more) in the 5 gallon carboys. I've been making wine then last 3-4 years and never had this smell. Did I wait too long to rack? Is it salvageable? I feel horrible as this was fruit grown in my backyard and spent ton of time on these batches. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like it was on lees way too long, can’t say if it’s salvageable, but why not try? Rack off of the lees (don’t get any lees at all) into a fresh carboy with sulfite in it, allowing the wine to splash into the carboy, and hopefully release some stink. Rack several times if needed. If that fails, you could try using reduless, and see if that helps. Hate to see you trash it without taking a shot at something.

Noblesse is supposed to help with off odors as well, might be another thing to try.

Latest posts

Back