Fruit Wine Coloring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetwine

Advanced Idiot
Reaction score
Despite everything I know to try, which isn't much. My fruit wines seem to bleach out in color. Is there anything I can do to help/prevent this?

Sulfites are known to take away colofr from many fruit wines but also how many lbs of fruit do you use per gallon and are you using pectic enzyme to get good color extraction to begin with?

Actually, at this point I'm not using any chemicals aside from Camden tabs/equivilant. And I use way more fruit than my base recipes call for... I don't use water at all, only juice and a little simple syrup. I know by not using chemicals that I'll prob have a lot of batches go bad, but so far so good. My lasty batch of strawberry was great... but this new batch is watermelon and I don't know if it's just the melon or what but its looking 'bleached out'. The more I make the more hubby lets me spend on winemaking, and the more sophisticated I'll get... Right now its basic.

Well watermelon is a very weal colored fruit so trying to get color from that is not very probable and campden tablet is sulfite which is a known bleacher of colors. Try using a little Ascorbic acid which is just vitamin C and use a little less sulfite. Ascorbic acid is another anti oxidant and it doesnt inhibit fermentation either, I use it on almost all my fruit wines and especially fruits that can brown easily like a apple with a bite out of it.

Well, I used weak bleach water and rinsed well on this batch instead of camden. Hubby said it'd be light colored after I started this thread... I've never had watermelon so I'm clueless on this batch. I'm just winging it, which usually works out for me

Age it for one full year and watermelon wine is more of a white wine. You won't have any red color to it. You really do need to seriously look at buying some chemicals. Watermelon juice spoils very easy, you need to sulfite this wine. And using a weak bleach solution is not something you should be using on watermelon, you will be ingesting this.

Try blending or adding some strawberries with the watermelon next time. They will add some color. Clearing naturally may help too.

I know what you mean. I have a peach strawberry that was beautiful at first but over the aging it has lost some intensity. Bet it's gonna be good though.

I wash my dishes in bleach water, don't really know why... I guess cause mom always did, So, that doesn't bother me. I'll look int othe sulfites, don't really want to use them at this point though. I doubt hubby will leave it alone for a year... I've decided to hide a bottle from each batch or I'll never get to try it aged. LOL!

if you are doing more than one gallon batches, i suggest "hiding" at least 2 bottles, you will thank me later.

I'm only doin 1 gal. at a time for the moment... thinking i'll go to bigger batches next summer!

There is an enzyme available called opti-red that helps to extract more color from the fruit. I'm currently using it and can attest to it's effectiveness.

There is an enzyme available called opti-red that helps to extract more color from the fruit. I'm currently using it and can attest to it's effectiveness.

So I guess "it gets the red out!:):):)

I couldn't resist and beat Runningwolf to it.

I'll have to branch out I guess... *sigh*. LOL! I just ordered a hydrometer should be here tomorrow. Too bad I already have all my primaries ready to go so I can't use it this time around.

Ok, just checked it... one batch is goin good, not as much fizzing as i'd like to see but you can hear it... the other batch is goin a little slower but has taken on a funky smell, I don't get it?!? they were the same batch until I poured into 2 primaries... On the other hand apple cinnamon wine is going great!

Last edited:
Actually, at this point I'm not using any chemicals aside from Camden tabs/equivilant. And I use way more fruit than my base recipes call for... I don't use water at all, only juice and a little simple syrup. I know by not using chemicals that I'll prob have a lot of batches go bad, but so far so good. My lasty batch of strawberry was great... but this new batch is watermelon and I don't know if it's just the melon or what but its looking 'bleached out'. The more I make the more hubby lets me spend on winemaking, and the more sophisticated I'll get... Right now its basic.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure all the things i add to my must are natural products. if ur using campden/equivalent, those are ur sulfites. i only add acid blend, grape tannin, and yeast energizer &/or nutrient. these are all natural products made with vitamins, food products (the grape tannin from dried skins?), yeast/rice hulls, etc. i think you'll be ok to use these things when hubby lets u expand. (i can relate, i'm on credit card shutdown currently, lol)

Sufites are natural. It is produced in wine fermentation (you are just adding more).
Most of the "chemicals" used in winemaking are natural

I guess I need to do more reaearch... But that checkbook won't let me do a whole lot more right... Supposed to get some new stuff I ordered today! Like a hydrometer (finally).

Crude oil is organic and natural too but I sure as hell am not going to add it to wine.
I added a beet(you all asked last year about the color when I post the picture) to the strawberry wine and it has a great red color. One beet did not affect the flavor at all,l but it made it red

Back