Fruit taste..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce53

Reaction score
Many of the winos that chat about wines in magazines & newspapers mention the fruit flavor of some wines. To me, all the fruit flavors I ever taste are those of grapes. What other flavors do they identify, cherry, almonds, plums, what?? Are these added artifically by the wineries?
This year's merlot is tasting great and I am thinking of introducing it at Christmas but maybe I should wait for a few years. Some oak might help...
Thanks guys for all the help. Have a great Christmas...

A lot of grapes will naturally produce these aromas and flavors. Yeast selection will also benefit this.

Cold fermenting will help with white wines to maintain the integrity of the aromas and taste.

Bruce, I think it was Wade who said to me a while back,

"What you taste as a final result, is the essence of the fruit.".

:r

(ps, I didn't realize winos chatted about wine in newspapers and magazines, I thought that what this forum was for!) LMAO HIC

Last edited:
There is no rule that you cant add some of those yourself, toss in some black currant juice for a taste of cassis, some blackberries or plums to add a background taste, some dried fruits to add a little more aroma like dried cherries or even elderberries. Crackedcork

Last edited:
Many of the winos that chat about wines in magazines & newspapers mention the fruit flavor of some wines. To me, all the fruit flavors I ever taste are those of grapes. What other flavors do they identify, cherry, almonds, plums, what?? Are these added artifically by the wineries?

It depends on were the grapes were grown and the soil condition, Along with what was said about type of fruit and yeast.

Not every one is able to pick up on those flavors or aromas! I don't know of a winery that would add artificial flavors to a wine.

I think most of those aromas are like the ink blots shrinks use, you have to actually look to find something.

I think most of those aromas are like the ink blots shrinks use, you have to actually look to find something.

So true. During a wine making class we tasted different wines and had to say what flavors we tasted. A lot of the same responses, but a lot of different ones as well.

Yeast is a big influence as well as minerals and such that the grapes draw from the ground.

Progress...

Hi Guys...
Wine looking fine and clearing so well I am not going to do any fining. After all, I am going to be the drinker if I live that long. Planning to bottle about this time next year. Meanwhile, it do taste gooood.. Should make about 110 bottles. I racked - second - about a month ago (may have to check my log) and I plan to rack again in about six months.... SO2 only about 30. Still not sure if MLT went as expected but don't really care if the taste is good. At 30, I don't expect it to start up on its own. Of the five-gallon carboys, one may have a problem but I don't think I can say it is DOA....

Great Bruce. Sounds like you are going to be a happy camper this time next year. Don't be surprised if it takes a little longer, though, each wine is different. Drink some in a year but save a few bottles for another couple of years; you won't be disappointed.

Concerning fruit flavors. Wines from some regions tend to have more of these fruit flavors than from others. Ex: to me anyway, French wines tend to be less fruit forward than similar wines from other regions. The French accuse North Americans of making fruit bombs. Some of that criticism might be deserved, if you are from the "old school", as many are. That's all a matter of opinion.

Sometime, buy a nice Cab from the Washington State area and one from Bordeaux France and compare the difference. Big difference in fruitiness! Same for a California Chardonnay and a Burgundy France white.

I agree about the cold fermentation.

Many times you can hear wine makers talk about "Burning off the fruit", meaning that the wine goes through a "hot" fermentation (Fast and warm).

I agree about the cold fermentation.

Many times you can hear wine makers talk about "Burning off the fruit", meaning that the wine goes through a "hot" fermentation (Fast and warm).

Love that D47 yeast strain!!! Getting ready to ferment a Chard in my brand new barrel. D47 and some icy water will keep it nice and fruity.

That is one of my New Year's resolutions, to learn more about and to use different yeasts. I have been fairly well stuck on Lalvin EC1118 and Red Star Primeur Cuvee. There are a lot of others out there and I feel adventurous. Any recommendations for Barolo and Amarone?

Vino Lobos

Thanks guys...
Here's to a great 2012 with my label from six years ago. (Not a success).
Cheers,
Bruce

Love that D47 yeast strain!!! Getting ready to ferment a Chard in my brand new barrel. D47 and some icy water will keep it nice and fruity.

Just remember, the colder the fermentation, the slower the fermentation. watch and chart the fermentation ofter, If the fermentation seems to have stalled, and you still have a lot of residual sugar, do not waste any time in warming up the must.

Latest posts

Back