Fruit purée from label peelers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with @salcoco. I saw them at my LHBS shop and asked about them. They are intended to be added towards the end of fermentation before you would add any finings (other than pre-ferment finings like bentonite). So they might cloud up your wine/beer before you bottle if you don't let them settle out. Plus they add some fermentable ingredients and may start a small ferment back up unless you used sorbate in your wine (please don't use sorbate in beer).

You both make good points. I will reconsider and do some more investigating.

I make a plum wine using label peelers plum fruit base and 2 cans of plum puree added to the must at the beginning. Yes it is thick and gloppy. It makes an awesome wine. It does settle with the rest of the Lee's and leaves you with a beautiful, clear wine. Try it

I just bottled a 3 gallon batch of Plum wine that was made with one can of Vintner's Harvest Plum Wine Base. Excellent!

The base had some plum skins and pulp (Not massive amounts) It was crystal clear in 4 weeks time. Started in end of May and I bottled it 2 weeks ago - I normally do not bottle that soon but at the last racking the taste was fantastic and it remained clear with no additional sediment dropping in the last 3 months. Of course Pectice enzyme was used at the time I prepped the batch.'
The wine has a beautiful medium rose color. One strange point is that the fermentation stalled at 1.008 leaving me with a ABV of 12%. The sweetness amount at that SG is perfect. Can't wait to see how it will taste in another year.

We did have to start consuming the first bottle already because due to a small spill, the last bottle of the batch was only about 85% filled and you can't safely cork a bottle like that - right? :i

So I would gladly recommend any of the Vintners HARVEST wine bases. I used their Apricot Puree once and wasn't so pleased with that, however; that was when I first started and I chalk that up to my inexperience. Why I prefer Vintners Harvest (VH) over the Vintner's Best is because if the can says Plum Wine Base - then the VH Base is 100% plum, no other fruit varieties mixed in. Same with all the VH wine bases. Hope to start two more batches in the next few months from their bases Elderberry and my 3rd batch of Black Currant.

I have 2 6-gallon carboys is grapefruit wine going .. they are a year old January 1, 2019. I was thinking of adding a bottle of the grapefruit purée to each to boost the flavor. Then allow it to clear and perhaps help it along with some clearing agent. Bottling in the usual manner with sorbate .. I’m not in a big hurry to bottle.
I guess I’m using it more like an F-pack. The bottle itself has directions that indicate one bottle to a 5-6 gallon batch. The grapefruit was made with real fruit and has cleared nicely. I would like to boost the flavor a bit.

Grapefruit puree??? The puree from label peelers is canned.. the fruit base is in a jug...I think poring from a jug would be a very nice addition.....good luck

This is actually a small bottle . 8 ounces. I just looked at the website again. They didn’t seem to have the grapefruit in stock but I am using a picture of a watermelon they have in. Stock. IMG_5092.JPG
The entire bottle doses a 5-6 gallon carboy.
The purée is fairly clear to start with. So I hope it works!

Latest posts

Back